"SWARRATON, a parish in the lower half division of the hundred of Mitcheldever, county Hants, 3½ miles N.W. of New Alresford, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Winchester. The village is situated a little to the E. of the road from Southampton to Basingstoke, and on a branch of the river Itchen. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Northington annexed, in the diocese of Winchester, value £110. The church has a modern spire. Divine service has been discontinued at the mother church, and the inhabitants attend the chapel-of-ease at Northington. There is a school for both sexes, entirely supported by Lady Ashburton. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Swarraton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Swarraton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Swarraton from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU578370 (Lat/Lon: 51.129437, -1.175065), Swarraton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)