"SWARRATON, a parish in the lower half division of the hundred of Mitcheldever, county Hants, 3½ miles N.W. of New Alresford, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Winchester. The village is situated a little to the E. of the road from Southampton to Basingstoke, and on a branch of the river Itchen. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Northington annexed, in the diocese of Winchester, value £110. The church has a modern spire. Divine service has been discontinued at the mother church, and the inhabitants attend the chapel-of-ease at Northington. There is a school for both sexes, entirely supported by Lady Ashburton. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]