"TITCHBORNE, a parish in the upper half of Fawley hundred, county Hants, 2½ miles S.W. of New Alresford, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Winchester. The village is situated at the head of the ricer Itchin. This place gives name to the Titchbornes, who were located here prior to the Conquest. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Cheriton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains tombs and effigies of the Titchborne family. There is a National school for both sexes, and a Roman Catholic school, supported by Sir James F. D. Titchborne, Bart. The principal residence is Titchborne House, which has a Roman Catholic chapel attached. It was rebuilt near the site of the old castle erected in Henry II.'s time, since which, 2d. on Ladyday has been given to every one who asks for it. The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]