"TITCHFIELD, a parish and small town in the Fareham division of Titchfield hundred, county Hants, 2½ miles W. of Fareham station, 6 N.W. of Gosport, and 9 S.E. of Southampton. The parish, which is bounded on the W. by the Southampton Water, is the largest in the county, containing 15,960 acres, and comprises the chapelry of Crofton, and the district church of Sarisbury, and the hamlets of Hook, Stubbington, Swanwick, and Warsash. The town is situated in a valley on the road from Southampton to Portsmouth and Brighton. The river Aire runs by the town into the Solent. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]