National Gazetteer (1868) - Titchfield
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"TITCHFIELD, a parish and small town in the Fareham division of Titchfield hundred, county Hants, 2½ miles W. of Fareham station, 6 N.W. of Gosport, and 9 S.E. of Southampton. The parish, which is bounded on the W. by the Southampton Water, is the largest in the county, containing 15,960 acres, and comprises the chapelry of Crofton, and the district church of Sarisbury, and the hamlets of Hook, Stubbington, Swanwick, and Warsash. The town is situated in a valley on the road from Southampton to Portsmouth and Brighton. The river Aire runs by the town into the Solent.
The town, once a market-town, had formerly a Premonstratensian abbey, founded in 1231 by Bishop Peter de Rupibus, the revenue of which at the suppression was valued at £280 19s. 10d.; and the site given by Henry VIII. to his Chancellor, Sir Thomas Wriothesley, who erected out of its materials the "rights statelie" house in which Charles I. found a temporary shelter after his escape from Hampton Court in 1647, and from which he was taken prisoner by Colonel Hammond, and conveyed to Carisbrooke Castle in the Isle of Wight. Lady Rachel Russell, wife of William Lord Russell, was born here in 1636. The building is now in a state of ruin, the entrance gateway being the only part standing. The principal residences are Nest Hill, of the Hon. Misses Baring; The Hook, of William Hornby, Esq.; Holly Hill, the seat of Captain Maxse; and Brooklands, of Spencer Smith, Esq. Titchfield gives the title of marquis to the Duke of Portland.
The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Crofton annexed, in the diocese of Winchester, value £230, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure of various dates, the N. aisle of which was built by William of Wykeham. It contains a monument to Sir T. Wriothesley, portions of whose armour are yet preserved. The church has just been beautifully restored and enlarged, at the expense of the Hon. Misses Baring. There is also the district church of Sarisbury, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £120. The church is dedicated to St. Paul. There is also the church or chapel at Crofton of the Holy Rood. There are chapels for Independents at Titchfield and Swanwick, and National, infant, and Sunday schools. Fairs are held on the 14th May, 25th September, and on the second Saturdays preceding Ladyday, and 21st December. "CROFTON, a chapelry in the parish of Titchfield in the county of Hants., 2½ miles S.W. of Fareham. It is situated near the South-Western railway, and contains Stubbington. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Titchfield. The church is dedicated to the Holy Rood. "HOOK, a hamlet in the parish of Titchfield, county Hants, 5 miles W. of Fareham. It is situated near Southampton Water. The principal residence is Hook House. "SARISBURY, a chapelry in the parish of Titchfield, county Hants, 5 miles W. of Fareham. Southampton is its post town. It is situated on the river Hamble, and includes Swanwick and Warsash. The living is a perpet: curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £120, in the patronage of the Vicar of Titchfield. "STUBBINGTON, a hamlet in the chapelry of Crofton, parish of Titchfield, county Hants, 3 miles S.W., of Fareham. "SWANWICK, a hamlet in the chapelry of Sarisbury and parish of Titchfield, county Hants, 4 miles N.W. of Fareham, on the river Hamble. "WARSASH, a hamlet in the chapelry of Sarisbury, parish of Titchfield, county Hants, 6 miles W. of Fareham, at the confluence of the Hamble and Southampton Water."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]