"TWYFORD, a parish in the lower half of Fawley hundred, Winchester division of county Hants, 3¼ miles S. of Winchester, its post town and railway station. The village is situated on the river Itchin, and the Itchin navigation, near the line of the London and South Western railway. This place came from the Seymours to the Mildmays of Dogmersfield, and here was the Roman Catholic seminary in which Pope was educated. In the vicinity is Shipley House, an old mansion, where Dr. Franklin wrote his life whilst on a visit to Dr. Shipley. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £213, in the patronage of Emanuel College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has several stained glass windows, and has been recently restored. The interior contains a bust of Bishop Shipley, by Nollekens. In the churchyard is an extraordinary yew-tree. Twyford House, Brambridge House, Shawford House, and Twyford Lodge, are the principal residences. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]