National Gazetteer (1868) - Upham
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"UPHAM, a parish in the hundreds of Meon Steke and Bishop's-Waltham, county Hants, 3 miles N.W. of Bishop's-Waltham, its post town, and 6 E. of Bishopstoke. It includes the hamlet of Woodcote. The Hambledon hounds meet in this parish. In the vicinity are some brick kilns. In 1849 tiles, pottery, and other antiquities, were discovered on the site of a Roman villa, 120 feet by 36. Part of the land is in common, downs, and woodland. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £420, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is old, with a tower covered with ivy. At Durley is a chapel-of-ease. There is a National school for both sexes. The Methodists have a chapel. The poet, Dr. E. Young, was born at the rectory in 1681, and died in 1705, and the mother of Bishop Heber was also born here. Belmore House is the principal residence. "WOODCOTT, a tything in the parish of Upham, county Hants, 2 miles N.W. of Bishop's Waltham."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]