National Gazetteer (1868) - Weeke
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"WEEKE, (or Wyke), a parish in the upper half of Buddlesgate hundred, county Hants, 1 mile N.W. of Winchester, of which city it is a suburb. The parish is traversed by the road from Winchester to Stockbridge, and contains the Winchester station of the South-Western railway, also the union workhouse. The village is situated under the old castle walls of the city of Winchester, but the ancient fosse which surrounded the western walls of the city has been filled up, and thirteen houses erected on the site. At Fullflood, in this parish, is the site of the original church.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £234, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin. Weeke House is the principal residence. On the border of this parish formerly stood the church of St. Anastasia, and near which are remains of entrenchments thrown up by the Royalists, under Lord Hopton, previous to the fatal battle of Cheriton. The seal of AElfric, Earl of Mercia, who lived in the 10th century, was found in a field about twenty years since, and presented to the British Museum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]