National Gazetteer (1868) - West Meon
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WEST MEON, a parish in the hundred of Meon-Stoke, county Hants, 7 miles N.E. of Bishop's Waltham. Droxford is its nearest money-order office. The village is considerable, and chiefly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £729. The living is a rectory* with the curacy* of Privett annexed, in the diocese of Winchester, value £602, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a stone structure with an embattled tower. The windows are all of stained glass. The register dates from 1640. The Independents have a chapel. The National school for both sexes was erected in 1852. John Dunn, Esq., is lord of the manor. "WOODLANDS, a hamlet in the parish of West Meon, county Hants, 3 miles S.E. of New Alresford."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]