"WEST TYTHERLEY, (or Tuderley, West), a parish in the hundred of Thorngate, county Hants, 7 miles S.W. of Stockbridge. It adjoins the above, and includes the extra parochial district of East and West Buckholt. The land is chiefly woodland and arable. The soil is clay upon a substratum of chalk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £361. The church was rebuilt in 1832. There is a National school. The principal seat is Norman Court House, the residence of Thomas Baring, Esq., M.P., who is lord of the manor. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum, being the endowment of six almshouses. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Tytherley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which West Tytherley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for West Tytherley from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU274304 (Lat/Lon: 51.072059, -1.610441), West Tytherley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)