National Gazetteer (1868) - West Tytherley
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WEST TYTHERLEY, (or Tuderley, West), a parish in the hundred of Thorngate, county Hants, 7 miles S.W. of Stockbridge. It adjoins the above, and includes the extra parochial district of East and West Buckholt. The land is chiefly woodland and arable. The soil is clay upon a substratum of chalk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £361. The church was rebuilt in 1832. There is a National school. The principal seat is Norman Court House, the residence of Thomas Baring, Esq., M.P., who is lord of the manor. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum, being the endowment of six almshouses."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]