"WHERWELL, a parish, in the hundred of the same name, county Hants, 3½ miles S.E. of Andover, and 5 N.E. of Stockbridge. The parish, which includes the tythings of Fullerton and Westover, is intersected by the small rivers Test and Ande or Anton, which last falls into the Redbridge and Andover canal. There are some traces of a Benedictine nunnery, founded and amply endowed by Queen Elfrida in 986, in expiation of the murder of Edward the Martyr, an event commemorated by the stone cross in Wherwell Wood. Its revenue at the time of the Dissolution was returned at £403 12s. 10d., and the site given to the Wests. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value with those of Bullington and Tufton annexed, £301. The church of the Holy Cross is old. There is a chapel for Wesleyans, and a village school. A fair is held on the 24th September for sheep. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]