"WHITCHURCH, a parish, decayed market town, and borough by prescription, in the hundred of Evingar, county Hants, 12 miles N.E. of Winchester, and 59 S.W. of London. It is a station on the Andover and Basingstoke branch of the London and South-Western railway. The parish includes, besides the town of its own name, the tythings of Charlcott, Cold Henley, and Freefolk Priors. It is situated on the river Test, which has its rise about 6 miles distant in a range of chalk hills. It has a mechanics' institute, held at the townhall, a branch bank, a library at the church, and banknote paper mills in the tything of Freefolk Priors. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]