Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for National Gazetteer (1868) - Whitchurch

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Whitchurch

"WHITCHURCH, a parish, decayed market town, and borough by prescription, in the hundred of Evingar, county Hants, 12 miles N.E. of Winchester, and 59 S.W. of London. It is a station on the Andover and Basingstoke branch of the London and South-Western railway. The parish includes, besides the town of its own name, the tythings of Charlcott, Cold Henley, and Freefolk Priors. It is situated on the river Test, which has its rise about 6 miles distant in a range of chalk hills. It has a mechanics' institute, held at the townhall, a branch bank, a library at the church, and banknote paper mills in the tything of Freefolk Priors.

It is a polling place for the northern division of the county, and sent two members to parliament from the 27th of Queen Elizabeth till the passing of the Reform Act of 1832, by which it was disfranchised. It is a borough by prescription, not included in the Municipal Corporation Act, and is governed by a mayor and bailiff, elected annually by the freeholders at the court-leet of the Dean and Chapter of Winchester, to whom the manor belongs. The county court is held at Andover, and the union poorhouse is situated in the parish of Overton. The population of the parish in 1851 was 1,911, and in 1861, 1,962. Whitchurch Lodge is a meet for the Vine hounds. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £205, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Independents, and Baptists. There are National schools. The parochial charities produce about £100 per annum. Market day was on Friday, but is now disused. Fairs are held on the third Thursday in June, and on the 19th and 20th October. "CHARLCOTT, a tything in the parish of Whitchurch, in the county of Hants, "COLD HENLEY, a chapelry in the parish of Whitchurch, hundred of Evingar, county Hants, 3 miles N.E. of Whitchurch. "COLD HENLEY, a tything in the parish of Whitchurch, the county of Hants, 4 miles N. of Whitchurch. "FREEFOLK-PRIORS, a tything in the parish of Whitchurch, hundred of Evingar, county Hants, 1 mile N.E. of Whitchurch."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]