"WOLVERTON, a parish in the lower division of Kingsclere hundred, county Hants, 1½ mile E. of Kingsclere. The village is situated on the road from Basingstoke to Kingsclere. The soil is generally clayey, on a substratum of chalk and loam; but in some parts it is wet and sandy. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, -.al. £300. The church is dedicated to St. Catherine. The charities produce £20 per annum. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wolverton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wolverton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Wolverton from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU552584 (Lat/Lon: 51.322107, -1.208625), Wolverton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)