"WONSTON, a parish in the upper division of Buddlesgate hundred, county Hants, 6 miles N. of Winchester, 5 S. of Whitchurch, and 4 S.W. of Mitcheldever station, on the London and South-Western railway. The parish is situated on the road between Whitchurch and Winchester, and includes the hamlet and village of Sutton Scotney. The surface is varied, and the soil fertile, on a substratum of chalk. The Kingsworthy harriers meet here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £1,160, with 20 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is modern, the former edifice having been destroyed by fire in 1714. There are National and infant schools. The Dean and Chapter of Winchester are lords of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]