National Gazetteer (1868) - Wootton St Lawrence
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WOOTTON ST. LAWRENCE, a parish in the lower division of Basingstoke hundred, county Hants, 3 miles W. of Basingstoke, and 52 from London. The village is situated near the line of the London and South-Western railway, which intersects the parish, comprising the tythings of East Oakley, Ramsdell, and Upper Wootton. The principal seats are Many Down House, of Sir B. Rycroft, Bart., and Tangier Park. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £276, in the patronage of the dean and chapter, who are also lords of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, contains a monument to Sir Thomas Hooke, Bart., and tombs of the Wither family. The Independents have a chapel. There is a parochial school supported by subscription. The charities produce about £3 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]