Wootton St Lawrence
"WOOTTON ST. LAWRENCE, a parish in the lower division of Basingstoke hundred, county Hants, 3 miles W. of Basingstoke, and 52 from London. The village is situated near the line of the London and South-Western railway, which intersects the parish, comprising the tythings of East Oakley, Ramsdell, and Upper Wootton. The principal seats are Many Down House, of Sir B. Rycroft, Bart., and Tangier Park. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £276, in the patronage of the dean and chapter, who are also lords of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, contains a monument to Sir Thomas Hooke, Bart., and tombs of the Wither family. The Independents have a chapel. There is a parochial school supported by subscription. The charities produce about £3 per annum. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wootton St Lawrence to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wootton St Lawrence has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Wootton St Lawrence from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU584527 (Lat/Lon: 51.270883, -1.163649), Wootton St Lawrence which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)