"WORTING, a parish in the hundred of Chutely, county Hants, 2 miles W. of Basingstoke. The village is situated near the line of the London and South-Western railway. The surface is undulating, and the soil chalky. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £280. The church, dedicated to Thomas a Becket, has been recently rebuilt. There is a National school, and almshouses for two poor families. The Rev. L. B. Wither is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Worting to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Worting has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Worting from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU602511 (Lat/Lon: 51.256323, -1.138974), Worting which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)