"WYMERING, a parish in the hundred of Portsdown, county Hants, 4 miles E. of Fareham, 4 from Portsmouth, and 1 mile N.W. of Cosham railway station. The parish, which is situated on Portsmouth Harbour, under Portsdown Hill, includes the northern end of Portsea island, the islets of Great and Little Horsea, and the village of Hilsea, where are the Royal Artillery barracks built in 1854, and strong lines of fortifications which have recently been greatly strengthened. The population in 1861 was 1,071. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, annexed to the rectory of Widley, joint value £678. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, or to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient Norman structure. The Independents have a chapel. There is a National school, also almshouses for 4 widows, founded by Mrs. Honor Wait in the reign of Elizabeth. The charities produce £15 per annum. Thomas Thistlewaite, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]