"ALMELEY, a parish partly in the hundred of WOLPHY, but chiefly in the hundred of STRETFORD, county of HEREFORD, 5p miles (W.) from Weobley, containing, with the townships of Hopley's Green and Logaston, 699 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £6. 17. 11., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary: at a short distance from it are two tumuli. The petty sessions for the hundred are occasionally held here." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- The transcription of the section for Almeley from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Almeley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Almeley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO333516 (Lat/Lon: 52.158928, -2.976866), Almeley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)