Hide

Avenbury, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"AVENBURY, a parish in the hundred of Broxash, in the county of Hereford, 1 mile from Bromyard, its post town. It lies near the border of Worcestershire, on the east side of the river Frome. The surrounding scenery is rich and beautiful, and the land is partly occupied with hop grounds. Limestone is obtained in the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £80, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A priory once existed here."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]