Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Avenbury, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Avenbury, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863

Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004

AVENBURY.

AVENBURY is a parish, 2½ miles south-east from Bromyard (its postal town), 11 north from Ledbury, 13 north-east from Hereford railway station, and 153 from London, in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric; it is pleasantly situated on the Bromyard and Ledbury turnpike road; the river Frome runs through it. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building in the Gothic style, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Frome, with small square tower and 3 bells; the interior of the church consists of nave, chancel, and a porch. The register dates from 1661. The living, is a stipendiary vicarage, worth £80 yearly, with residence and 2 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. John Shepherd, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin, is the incumbent. Birchy Field, the residence of Mrs. Kempson, is a finely built structure of freestone, in the Modern English style, commanding an extensive and prospective view of the surrounding country. The population in 1861 was 371; the acreage is 3,048. The soil is clayey; subsoil, red sandstone. The representatives of the late Dean of St. Asaph are lords of the manor; Edmund Higginson, Esq., James Saunders, Esq., and John Freeman, Esq., are the chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops, and apples. There are charities of 40s yearly value. Near Bridenbury is a detached part of the parish, which in 1861 contained 34 persons.

MUNDERFIELD ROW, a hamlet, is about 1 mile and three-quarters south-west.

Parish Clerk, William Vernell.


AVENBURY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Kempson Mrs. Birchy field Shepherd Rev. John, M.A., Vicarage

COMMERCIAL.

Allies Richard, farmer, Little Frome
Allies Thomas, farmer, Avenbury court
Bevan William, farmer, Stocks
Clark James, farmer, Heath farm
Davenport Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Venn
Corbett Joseph, farmer, Noaks
Gilmour Patrick, farmer, Hackley
Hill James, farmer, Cusop
Holloway Benj. farmer, Upper Hopton
Leake William, farmer, Burgess
Leake Wm. jun. farmer, Upper Venn
Nott James, miller, Frome mill
Parlour John, farmer, Sawby hill
Philpott Stephen, farmer, Brook house
Williams Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Goodshop

MUNDERFIELD ROW.

Ballard John, farmer, New house
Gurney John, wheelwright
Gurney Thomas, carpenter
Philpott Frederick, farmer
Pitt Peter, cider retailer
Watkins James, blacksmith
Watkins James, blacksmith

Letters are received Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office

[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in March 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]