Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bartestree, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1913

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Bartestree, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1913

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913

Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
BARTESTREE is a chapelry and township in the parish of Dormington, from which place it is about 1¼ miles north-west; it is on the Hereford and Worcester road by Ledbury. The church of St James seated amidst romantic scenery, is a small modern edifice of stone, in the Decorated style, and was entirely rebuilt in 1887 at a cost of £1,600, under the direction of Mr. T. Nicholson, architect of Hereford; it now consists of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry and a western turret containing one bell: the seats, pulpit and lectern are of oak: the west window is a memorial to the Misses Margaret and Harriet Norris, and there are six other stained windows, three of these being memorials to the Watkin and Preece families. The register dates from the year 1700. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to Dormington. The Catholic Convent of Our Lady of Charity and Refuge, founded in 1863 by the late Robert Biddulph Phillips esq. late of Longworth, originally built from designs by the late Mr. Pugin, was enlarged from plans by Mr. Chick, of Hereford, in 1881, and again in 1889 and 1895: the objects of the institution, which is conducted by ladies, are the reformation of fallen women and the preservation of those who are in danger of falling into bad courses: the establishment is supported partly by the revenues of the foundation and partly by the labour of the inmates in laundry work and the manufacture of underclothing: attached to the convent is a pre-Reformation chapel, restored by the late R. B. Phillips esq. about 1860, and removed from Longworth and re-erected here in 1870. Bartestree Court, an extensive farm, is at present occupied by Mr. Frederick W. Barling. The principal landowners are the Misses Hutchinson, of Hagley Park, and William Henry Barneby esq. of Brockington Grange, Bromyard, and Longworth, Hereford. The area is 421 acres. which is applied to arable, pasture, meadow and hops; rateable value, £980; the population in 1911 was 278. including 214 inmates in the convent.

   Post, M.O. & T. & Telephone Call Office. - Martin Brace, sub-postmaster.
Letters received through Hereford at 6.45 a.m. & 6.5 p.m.; dispatched at 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.: no delivery on sunday
Wall Letter Box, The Cottage, cleared at 10.55 a.m. & 5.40 p.m. week days only
   The children at this place attend the school at Lugwardine

 


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

 

Berrow Herbert John, Pomona house
Delhaise Rev. Hubert Joseph, Convent of Our Lady of Charity & Refuge
Kentish Herbert, The Cottage

 

COMMERCIAL.

 

Barling Frederick W. farmer & hop grower & cider merchant, Bartestree court. T N 6 Bartestree
Convent of Our Lady of Charity & Refuge (Rev. Hubert Joseph Delhaise, chaplain: Rev. Mother Alphonse Newton, superioress)
Roe Matthew, farm bailiff to Owen G.S. Croft esq. Pomona farm
West James Clulow, farmer, Lower Bartestree

 

 

[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in July 2000
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]