Hide

Bishops Frome, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BISHOP'S FROME, a parish in the hundred of Radlow, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles to the S. of Bromyard, its post town. It contains the township of Eggleton, the village of Leaden, and the district of Walton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, of the value of £608, in the patronage of the Rev. J. Hepton. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."

"EGGLETON, a township in the parish of Bishop's Frome, hundred of Radlow, county Hereford, 7 miles N.W. of Ledbury. It is situated near the river Frome. The tithes were commuted under an Enclosure Act in 1813. There is a school for girls."

"HAILMOND'S FROME, a village in the parish of Bishop's Frome, county Hereford, 4 miles S. of Bromyard."

"LEADON, a village and township in the parish of Bishop's Frome, hundred of Radlow, county Hereford, 5 miles S.E. of Bromyard."

"STANFORD-REGIS, a township in the parish of Bishop's-Frome, hundred of Radlow, county Hereford, 3 miles S.E. of Bromyard. Here is a petrifying spring."

"WALTON, a district in the parish of Bishop's Frome, county Hereford, 4 miles S. of Bromyard."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]