"BLAKEMERE, a parish in the hundred of WEBTREE, county of HEREFORD, 10 miles (W.by N.) from Hereford, containing 163 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Preston upon Wye united, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £3, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Transcription of section of E C Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire for Blakemere in 1851, by Richard Lane.
- Transcription of sections of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire for Blakemere in 1856, 1858, by Richard Lane.
- Transcription of sections of Trade Directory of Herefordshire for Blakemere in 1863, by Richard Lane.
- Transcription of sections of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire for Blakemere in 1879, 1913, 1929, by Richard Lane.
- The transcription of the section for Blake Mere from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Blakemere to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Blakemere has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO363410 (Lat/Lon: 52.063679, -2.931204), Blakemere which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)