Blakemere, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1856
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
BLAKEMERE, or BLACKMERE is a township, parish and village, about 11 miles west. from Hereford Railway Station, 8 north-west from Abbey Dore Union, 10 east from Hay, and 155 from London, in Webtree Hundred, Weobley Union, Hereford county court, archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Hereford and Hay road. The church is an old stone building, with small tower; it has nave, porch, chancel, and font. The living is attached to Preston-on-Wye, worth £250 yearly; The Rev. Edward Howells, M.A. is the incumbent. There is a small Day school for boys and girls. The population in 1851, was 183, and the acreage is 1,127. the soil is sandy; the subsoil is sandstone. Sir Velters Cornwall, Bart., is lord of the manor; Mr. J. Matthews and Mr. W. Matthews are chief landowners.
KINLEY, Woodland House, Lower Godway, and Holywell, are places here.
Ambury Jas. Farmer, Lower Blakemere Medlicot J. farmer Bethell James, shoemaker Morgan Thomas, carpenter Bethell John, 'Plough' Price James, parish clerk Davies W. farmer Pugh Thomas, wheelwright Hall Robert, farmer, Kinley Smith Thomas, blacksmith Hauywood Henry, farmer Williams John, shopkeeper, Holywell Matthews John, farmer, Woodland House
Letters through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856 in Hereford Central Library]