Blakemere, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1858
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
BLAKEMERE, or BLACKMERE is a township, parish and village, 11 miles west. from Hereford Railway Station, 8 north-west from Abbey Dore Union, 10 east from Hay, and 155 from London, in Webtree Hundred, Weobley Union, Hereford county court, archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Hereford and Hay road. The church is an ugly old stone building. The living is attached to Preston-on-Wye, worth £250 yearly. There is a small Day school for boys and girls. The population in 1851, was 183, and the acreage is 1,127. The soil is sandy; the subsoil is sandstone. Sir Velters Cornwall, Bart., Rev. H. Lee Warner, Mr. J. Matthews and Mr. W. Matthews are the landowners.
KINLEY, Woodland House, Lower Godway, and Holywell, are places here.
Letters through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office
Ambury Jas. Farmer, Matthews John, yeoman, Woodland House Bethell James, shoemaker Medlicot T. farmer, Church Farm Bethell John, 'beer house Morgan Thomas, carpenter Davies Charles. farmer Price James, parish clerk Davies George, wheelwright Price Samuel, blacksmith Hall Robert, farmer, Kinley Williams John, shopkeeper, Holywell Hauywood H., farmer
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858 in Hereford Central Library]