Blakemere, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1879
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
BLAKEMERE is a parish and village, 11 miles west. from Hereford, 6 miles from Moorhampton Railway Station on the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway, 10 east from Hay, in Webtree hundred, Weobley Union, Hereford county court district, rural deanery, archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, situated on the Hereford and Hay road. The church of St. Leonard is a stone building, having chancel, nave and porch, with bell turret on top of the gables; it was rebuilt in 1877, at a cost of £1,000, from drawings by Mr. G. Truefitt, of Bloomsbury Square, London, By Mr. H. Welsh, of Hereford, contractor. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Preston-on-Wye, joint yearly value £300, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford and held by the Rev. Andrew Pope, M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The Dean and Chapter of Hereford are lords of the manor. Robert H Lee-Warner, of Tiberton Court, J. Mathews esq., Rev. Sir G. H. Cornwall, bart., and Henry Haywood, esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy; the subsoil is sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and swedes. The area is 1,127 acres; rateable value £1,463; and the population in 1871 was 186.
Parish Clerk.- John Williams
Letters through Hereford; collected from PILLAR BOX 4.14 p.m. Peterchurch is the nearest money order office
CARRIER. - G. Pugh, from Preston, passing through to Hereford Wednesday & Saturday, returning same days.
Ambury Jas. Farmer, Saunders William, tailor Davies John, farmer, Church Farm Williams James & Joseph, masons, Holywell Haywood Henry landowner, farmer & land agent; & steward to the Rev. Sir G. H. Cornwall, bart., Blakemere House Williams John, farmer, Woodland Howells Charles, shoemaker Yeomans John, farmer, Kinley Jackson Thomas, wheelwright
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879 in Hereford Central Library]