Hide

Bodenham, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BODENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Broxash, in the county of Hereford, 7 miles to the N. of Hereford. Leominster is its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Lug, and contains the townships of Bowley, Bryan, Maund, Whitchurch Maund, and the Moor. Part of the land in this parish is laid out in hop-grounds. This place was anciently a market town, the privilege being obtained in the reign of Richard II. It has been long disused. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, of the value of £686, in the patronage of John Arkwright, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyans. The parochial charities - among which are a school with a small endowment and Mason's bequest for the poor - produce about £54 per annum."

"BOWLEY, a township in the parish of Bodenham, hundred of Broxash, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles to the S.E. of Leominster."

"BRYAN-MAUND, a township in the parish of Bodenham, hundred of Broxash, in the county of Hereford, 7 miles to the N. of Hereford."

"THE MOOR, a township in the parish of Bodenham, county Hereford, 7 miles N.E. of Hereford."

"WHITCHURCH MAUND, a township in the parish of Bodenham, county Hereford, 6 miles S.W. of Bromyard."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]