Bodenham, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1856
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
BODENHAM is a parish and village, with the townships of BODENHAM, BOWLEY, THE MOOR, MAUND BRYAN, and WHITECHURCH MAUND, 6 miles south from Leominster (its post town), 1½ east from Dinmore Railway Station, 8 miles west from Bromyard, and 8 north from Hereford, and 16 north-west from Ledbury, in Broxash hundred, Leominster union, Weston deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated about 1 mile west from the Leominster and Ledbury turnpike road, and the River Lugg runs through the parish. The church of St. Michael is an ancient and substantial stone building, in the Early English style of architecture, with square tower, four pinnacles, and an unfinished lantern spire; the tower contains 5 bells and an excellent clock, which was presented to the parish in 1849 by John Arkwright, Esq., of Hampton Court, near Leominster; the interior consists of nave, north and side aisles, chancel (with handsome ribbed ceiling), chaste carved stone font, and various small monumental tablets; there are also an organ loft and an organ; the church was entirely renovated and re-pewed in 1834, by which means 200 additional sittings were obtained, there being accommodation for 650persons, 200 of which were free. The living is a vicarage, gross income £686 yearly, with residence, in the gift of John Arkwright, Esq., the Rev. Henry Arkwright, M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, is the incumbent, and the Rev. James Knowles Harrison is curate. Here is a small chapel used by Wesleyans. There is a free school for boys and girls, with an average attendance of 70 children. The vicarage is a modern stone building, in the Elizabethan style, a quarter of a mile from the church. Broadfield Court, an ancient mansion is 2½ miles north-east; Venwood House is 2½ miles south-east; Dinmore Hill is delightfully situated about 1½ miles north-west, and commands a very extensive and beautiful prospect. The River Lugg is noted for its superior grayling, trout, and pike, and is preserved for a distance of 4 to 5 miles exclusively for a club of about 30 members, permission having been given for that purpose by J. Arkwright, Esq., and D. H. Burr, Esq. The population in 1851 was 1,113; the area is 4,976 acres. The soil is clayey, loamy and rich pasture. John H. Arkwright, Esq. is lord of the manor, and John Arkwright, Esq., Henry Burchall, Esq., H. Burr, Esq., and E. N. Mason, Esq., are the chief landowners. There are several extensive farms, with good houses attached. The chief crops are apples, hops, wheat, and beans. There are charities of £18 yearly value. The Wesleyans have a small chapel.
Bowley is 1½ miles north-east; The Moor, three quarters of a mile east; Maund Bryan, 2¾ miles south- east; Whitechurch Maund, 3 south-by-south-east, from the church
Bodenham Arkwright, Rev. Henry, M.A. Vicarage Landon Richard, esq., Hill House Burchall John Henry, esq., Broadfield Court Lewes Rev. David Laugharne, Bodenham Hall Forrest John Richard esq., Venn Wood Powell Richard, esq., Maund Harrison Rev. James Knowles [curate] Bank Ho. Wilkins Mrs. Rhoda, Villa Helme Mrs. Broadfield Court Woodyatt John, esq., Pent House TRADERS Baker Joseph, farmer, Maund Court Hyde John, miller, Riffin's Mill Burlton Thomas, farmer, Vern House Hyde Meline (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Broadfield Chamberlain William, farmer, Farm Lait William, shopkeeper Colebourne John, farmer, Bodenham Court Lewis James, farmer, Howton Crompton William, farmer, Lower Venn Mapp John, shopkeeper Cross John, farmer, Dewdales Hope Norman James, shopkeeper Daniel Joseph, shopkeeper, Pease Green Owens Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper & cider retailer Dykes John, cider retailer, Saffron's Cross Perkins Samuel, farmer, Woodhouse Edwards Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Pigeon house Phillips Richard, farmer, Richland Fowler William, farmer, Holbatch Powell Richard, farmer, Maund Glading William, farmer Price Mary Ann (Miss), farmer, Bowley Town Green Francis, England's Gate Pritchard William, farmer, Brockington Griffiths Joseph, farmer, Millcraft Symonds Jonathan, farmer, Calderwell Griffiths William, builder & wheelwright, Poolhead Vale Benjamin, cider retailer, Bowley Town Hall William, cider retailer, Witchall Went John, blacksmith, Bridge Harford John, parish clerk, Collector of rates Woodyatt John, surgeon, Pent house Holloway Joseph, farmer, Broadfield Lodge Yeomans Esther (Mrs.), New Inn Holt William, cider retailer, Cornett Bridge
Bowley Gladwyn William, shoemaker Taylor Thomas, wheelwright Saw Joseph, shoemaker Watkins Elizabeth, (Miss), schoolmistress
The Moor Beaman Thomas, mason Harris Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper Bowen James, tailor Hill Charles, mason Cooper William, cider retailer Hughes John, farmer Daniel William, shoemaker Merrick Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Low Moor Duncan Allan, shopkeeper Strangward Joseph Dennis, farmer, Upper Moor. Gibbons William, mason Williams Robert, tailor
Maund Bryan Stedman John, wheelwright
Whitechurch Maund Burnett John, farmer Ovens James, butcher Clarke James, farmer
POST OFFICE. - Francis Green, sub-postmaster, England's Gate. Letters arrive from Leominster at ¼ past 11 a.m. & are dispatched thereto at 3 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Leominster.
Free School, James Morton, master; Mrs. Jane Morton, mistress.
CARRIER TO HEREFORD. - Jas Fleet, to Hereford, Wednesday & Saturday; to Worcester, Friday.
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856 in Hereford Central Library]