Bodenham, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1863
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
BODENHAM is a parish and village, with the townships of BODENHAM, BOWLEY, THE MOOR, MAUND BRYAN, and WHITECHURCH MAUND, 6 miles south from Leominster (its post town), 1 mile and a half east from Dinmore Railway Station, 8 miles west from Bromyard, and 8 north from Hereford, and 16 north-west from Ledbury, in Broxash hundred, Leominster union, Weston deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situate about 1 mile west from the Leominster and Ledbury turnpike road, and is intersected by the River Lugg. The Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway passes through the parish, and has a single station here called Dinmore Station. The church of St. Michael is an ancient and substantial stone building, in the Early English style of architecture, with square tower, four pinnacles, and an unfinished lantern spire; the tower contains 5 bells and an excellent clock, which was presented to the parish in 1849 by John Arkwright, Esq., of Hampton Court, near Leominster; the interior consists of nave, north and side aisles, chancel (with handsome ribbed ceiling), chastely carved stone font, and various small monumental tablets; there are also an organ loft and an organ; the church was entirely renovated and repewed in 1834, by which means 200 additional sittings were obtained, there being sittings for 650persons, 200 of which were free. The living is a vicarage, gross income £686 yearly, with residence, in the gift of John Arkwright, Esq., the Rev. Henry Arkwright, M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, is the incumbent; the vicarage house is a modern stone building in the Elizabethan style, a quarter of a mile from the church. There is a free school for boys and girls, with an average attendance of 70 children; a new school has been erected, capable of accommodating 130 children, with residence for the master; it is in the Early English Style, and was designed by Frederick Kempson, Esq., architect, of Hereford; the cost was defrayed by subscription. Broadfield Court, an ancient mansion is 2½ miles north-east; Venwood House is 2½ miles south-east; Dinmore Hill is delightfully situated about 1 mile and a half north-west, and commands a very extensive and beautiful prospect. The River Lugg is noted for its superior grayling, trout, and pike, and is preserved for a distance of 4 to 5 miles exclusively for a club of about 30 members, permission having been given for that purpose by J. Arkwright, Esq., and D. H. Burr, Esq. The population in 1861 was 1,096; the area is 4,976 acres. The soil is clayey, loamy and rich pasture. John H. Arkwright, Esq. (who is lord of the manor), John Henry Burchall, Esq., H. Burr, Esq., and E. N. Mason, Esq., are the chief landowners. There are several extensive farms, with good houses attached. The chief crops are apples, hops, wheat, and beans. There are charities of £18 yearly value. The Wesleyans have a small chapel.
Bowley is 1 mile and a half north-east; The Moor, three quarters of a mile east; Maund Bryan, 2¼ miles south-east; Whitechurch Maund, 3 south-by-south-east, from the church
Bodenham Arkwright, Rev. Henry, M.A. Vicarage Helme Mrs. Broadfield Court Burchall John Henry, esq., J.P. Broadfield Court Hill William esq., Pent House Dawes Rev. David Laugharne, Bodenham Hall Newhouse, Col. William Forrest John Richard esq., Venn Wood Wilkins Mrs. Rhoda, Villa Glading Mrs. COMMERCIAL Bray Wm. B., farmer, Dewdales Hope Hill William, surgeon, Pent House Burlton Thomas, farmer, Vern House Hyde John, miller, Riffin's Mill Chandler Thomas, Railway Hotel Hyde Meline (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Broadfield Colebourne John, farmer, Bodenham Court Lait William, shopkeeper Crompton William, farmer, Lower Venn Lewis James, farmer, Howton Daniel Joseph, shopkeeper, Pease Green Perkins Samuel, farmer, Woodhouse Dyke John, farmer, Broadfield Lodge Perkins Timothy, farmer, Farm Dykes John, beer retailer, Saffron's Cross Phillips Richard, farmer, Richland Edwards Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Pigeon house Powell John, farmer, Holbatch Gladwin William John, farmer Symonds Jonathan, farmer, Calderwell Green Francis, England's Gate Went John, blacksmith, Bridge Griffiths Joseph, farmer, Millcraft Wright William, farmer, Brockington Griffiths William, builder & wheelwright, Poolhead Yeomans Esther (Mrs.), New Inn Harford John, Collector of rates
Bowley Gladwyn William, shoemaker Taylor Thomas, wheelwright James Edward, farmer Watkins Elizabeth, (Miss), schoolmistress Saw Joseph, shoemaker
The Moor Beaman Thomas, mason Powell George, farmer, Upper Moor Bowen James, tailor Spencer John, grocer and farmer Duncan Allan, shopkeeper Strangward Joseph Dennis, farmer, Upper Moor. Hill Charles, mason Watkins Thomas, mason, Lower Moor Hughes John, farmer Williams Robert, tailor Merrick Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Low Moor
Maund Bryan Baker Joseph, farmer, Maund Court Stedman John, wheelwright
Whitechurch Maund Bedford George, farmer, Rowbury Watkins John, farmer Derry Francis, beer retailer & shopkeeper
POST OFFICE. - John Harford, sub-postmaster, Pease Green. Letters arrive from Leominster at 9.20 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 3.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Leominster.
Free School, James Morton, master; Mrs. Jane Morton, mistress.
CARRIER TO HEREFORD. - James Fleet, Wednesday & Saturday.
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1863 in Hereford Central Library]