Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bodenham, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1879

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Bodenham, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1879

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879

Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003

BODENHAM.

BODENHAM is a parish and village and polling place for the county, comprising the townships of BODENHAM, THE MOOR, MAUND BRYAN, and WHITECHURCH MAUND, in Broxash hundred, Leominster union and county court district, Weston rural deanery and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese, 6 miles south from Leominster, 8 west from Bromyard, and 8 north from Hereford, and 16 north-west from Ledbury; situated about 1 mile west from the Leominster and Ledbury turnpike road, and is intersected by the River Lugg. The Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway passes through the parish, and has station here named Dinmore. The church of St. Michael is an ancient and substantial stone building, in the Early English style, having chancel with groined stone ceiling, nave, aisles, & square tower, four pinnacles and an unfinished lantern spire: the tower contains 5 bells and an excellent clock which was presented to the parish in 1849 by John Arkwright, esq., of Hampton Court, near Leominster: there chastely carved stone font, and various small monumental tablets; also an organ, which has been removed into the chancel; the church was entirely renovated and re-pewed in 1834, when 200 additional sittings were obtained, there being accommodation for 650 persons. The register dates from the year 1584. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £686, with residence, in the gift of John Hungerford Arkwright, Esq., and held by the Rev. Henry Arkwright, M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, the vicarage house is a modern Elizabethan stone building, a quarter of a mile from the church. There is a school chapel at Maund Common capable of seating 60 persons, and which is served by the vicar: during the week there is an average attendance of 80 children. The Wesleyans have small chapel at the Moor. There are charities of £18 yearly value. The River Lugg is noted for its superior grayling and trout, and is preserved for a distance of several miles exclusively for a club of about 30 members, of which John Hungerford Arkwright, esq., of Hampton Court is President. Broadfield Court, an ancient mansion, the residence of Mrs. Helme, is 2½ miles north-east; Venwood, the residence of Mrs. Forrest, is 2½ miles south-east; Dinmore Hill, about 1½ miles north-west, commands a very extensive and beautiful prospect. John Hungerford Arkwright, who is lord of the manor and D. H. D. Burr, esq., are the principle landowners. The soil is clay and loam and rich pasture; subsoil gravel. The chief crops are apples, hops, wheat, and beans. The area is 5,276 acres; rateable value, £7,777; and the population in 1871 was 1,111

   BOWLEY is 1½ miles north-east; The Moor, three quarters of a mile east; Maund Bryan, 2¾ miles south-east; Whitechurch Maund, 3 south-by-south-east. J. H. Arkwright, esq., is lord of the manor.

Parish Clerk.- John Harford.

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank. - John Harford, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Leominster at 9.20 a.m.; despatched thereto at 3.30 p.m.

Assistant Overseer.- Joseph Williams.

SCHOOLS: -
There are two Parochial schools for boys and girls, with an average attendance of 80 children; a school house in the Early English Style was erected in 1863, capable of holding 130 children, with residence for the master; the cost was defrayed by subscription.

Mixed Parochial, Edwin Wills, master; Mrs. Julia Aquila Wills, sewing mistress

Maund Common, Mrs. Agnes Heath, mistress

CARRIERS TO: -
HEREFORD - Thomas Gravener & Mrs. Prosser, to 'Hop Pole', Wednesday and Saturday.

LEOMINSTER. - Mrs. Prosser, to 'King's Head'. Friday

Railway Station (Dinmore), J. H. Poole, Station Master

Bodenham
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Arkwright, Rev. Henry, M.A. Vicarage Lewes Mrs., Villa
Davies Walter, The Retreat Master Bt.-Col William Chester, C. B., Hill House
Forrest Mrs. Vennwood Rowthorn Rev. Wm., Bodenham Hall
Helme Mrs. Broadfield Court Smith O. B., Fordham House
Hill Dallas, Brick House Stanilands Samuel, The Lawns
Jenner Hugh, J.P., Venwood  
COMMERCIAL
Brassington Daniel, farmer, Woodhouse Morgan Eliza (Mrs.), Railway Hotel, Dinmore Station
Bray Wm. B., farmer, Dewdales Hope Phillips Richard, farmer, Richland
Clark Margaret (Mrs.), shopkeeper Pitt William, farmer, Gritt Pits
Dykes Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer, Petch Powell George, farmer, hop grower & grazier, Howton
Gladwin William, farmer Price William, farmer, hop grower & breeder of Herefordshire Cattle, Vern House
Griffiths Joseph, farmer, Millcraft Purchase Wm., England's Gate, & farmer
Griffiths Thomas, farmer, Calderwell Robins Sarah Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hinch Edward, clerk of the works to John Hungerford Arkwright, esq., Hampton Court, Isle of Rhea Staniland Samuel, surgeon, The Lawns
Hyde Henry, farmer, Lower Broadfield Warwick James, farmer, Lower Venn
Hyde John, miller & entire horse proprietor, Riffin's Mill Went John, blacksmith
Maddy Phillip, farmer, Broadfield Lodge Williams William Pritchard, farmer, Brockington
Medlicott Henry, farmer, Bodenham  
Bowley
Saw Joseph, farmer, Butford Williams William Pritchard, farmer, Bowley Court
Taylor Thomas, landowner, builder and wheelwright  
The Moor
Beaman Thomas, mason Probert John, brewers' agent, grocer, provision merchant, corn & flour factor, butcher, hardware dealer, & boot & shoe warehouse, New Stores
Bowen James, tailor Spencer John, grocer & farmer
Duncan Allan, shopkeeper Whittingslow Thos., landowner, farmer & cattle dealer
Gough Frederick Elliott, Farmer, hop grower, & breeder of Herefordshire cattle, Upper Moor Williams Joseph, butcher, farmer & assistant overseer
Griffiths William, builder & wheelwright, Pool Head Williams Robert, tailor
Hughes John, farmer  
Maund Bryan
Edwards Sarah (Mrs.), farmer Powell Richard, farmer, Lane End
George Timothy, farmer Rees Cornelius, farmer, Maund Court
Griffiths Henry, landowner, farmer & general smith Stedman John, wheelwright
Humphreys Isaac, landowner & farmer, Water Lane  
Whitechurch Maund
Badham John, farmer, Rowbury Pritchard Richard, beer retailer &shopkeeper
Baker John, farmer, Newhouse Prosser Walter, beer & cider retailer & shopkeeper
Beard John, farmer  

   POST OFFICE. - Francis Green, sub-postmaster, England's Gate. Letters arrive from Leominster at ¼ past 11 a.m. & are dispatched thereto at 3 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Leominster.

   Free School, James Morton, master; Mrs. Jane Morton, mistress.

   CARRIER TO HEREFORD. - Jas Fleet, to Hereford, Wednesday & Saturday; to Worcester, Friday.

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879 in Hereford Central Library]