Bodenham, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1913
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
BODENHAM is a parish and village About 1 mile west from the Leominster and Ledbury road, and is intersected by the River Lugg, 6 miles south from Leominster, and 8 north from Hereford, in the Northern division of the county, Broxash hundred, Leominster union and county court district, Weston rural deanery and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese. The Shrewsbury and Hereford section of The Great Western and London and North Western joint Railway passes through the parish and has a station here, named Dinmore, 1½ miles west from the village. The church of St. Michael is an ancient and substantial building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, north porch, north and south transept, an embattled western tower with pinnacles and an unfinished octagonal lantern tower with spire containing 6 bells, dating from 1665, and a clock, presented to the parish in 1849 by the late John Arkwright, esq., of Hampton Court: on the north side of the chancel is a recessed tomb, with effigy, at present unidentified, and there is an ancient font of the 13th century: The church was thoroughly restored in 1891, as a memorial to the Rev. Henry Arkwright M.A., vicar 1842-89, at a cost of upwards of £4,000, which included the provision of an organ and the erection of a stained east window, under the direction of the late Sir Arthur Bloomfield A.R.A., F.S.A., of London, architect: in 1901 an oak reredos was erected as a memorial to the Rev. H. C. Sturgess M.A.: there are 400 sittings. The register dates from 1584. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £410, with residence, in the gift of John Stanhope Arkwright, Esq., M.P., and held since 1905 by the Rev. Frederick William Worsey M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. Services are also held in the mission room at Maund Bryan, on Sundays, at 3.30 p.m. by the vicar; the room will seat 60 persons. There is a small Wesleyan Chapel at the Moor, rebuilt in 1874. The Charities, of £17 yearly value, are given in bread and money. Almshouses were erected in Bodenham in 1897, at a cost of about £1,700 by Miss Sophia Arkwright. In memory of her late father, the Rev. Henry Arkwright M.A. a former vicar: these four houses have been endowed by Misses H. and S. Arkwright with money producing about 5s per week for each occupier, together with a supply of coal. The River Lugg is noted for its superior grayling and trout, and is preserved for a distance of several miles exclusively for a club of about 30 members, of which John Stanhope Arkwright, esq., is President. Here are the kennels of the North Herefordshire Hounds, R. L. Kidston esq., master, which hunt the district on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays: Hereford, Leominster and Bromyard are convenient places for hunting visitors. Broadfield Court, an ancient mansion, the residence of W. John Helme, esq., is 2½ miles north-east; Vennwood, the property of Hugh Jenner esq., of Weston Park, Bath, is at present occupied by Hugh Ferrars Courage esq. Dinmore Hill, about 1½ miles north-west, commands a very extensive and beautiful prospect. Mrs. Burrell, of Hampton Court, who is lady of the manor, Higford Higford esq., W. H. Apperley esq., of Hereford, Hugh Jenner esq., W. J. Helme esq., Mrs. Cooke, of Brook House Bromyard, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and gravel, sand, loam and rich pasture; subsoil gravel. The chief crops are apples, hops, wheat, and beans. The area is 5,266 acres of land and 29 of water; rateable value, £7,396; the population in 1911 was 735 in the civil and 739 in the ecclesiastical parish
BOWLEY is 1½ miles north-by-east; The Moor, 1 mile east; Maund Bryan, 2¾ miles south-east; Whitechurch Maund, 3 south-by-south-east.
Parish Clerk.- William Bullock.
POST, M.O. & T. OFFICE.- William Henry Smalley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Leominster at 6.15 a.m. and 5 p.m.; despatched at 7.25 p.m. week days & 8.30 a.m. Sundays.
Wall Letter Boxes.- The Moor, cleared 7.20 p.m.; The Ketch, 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 8 a.m.; & Dinmore Railway Station, 8.5 p.m. week days only.
Police Station, The Moor.- Henry Wright, constable in charge.
Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), with master's house, built in 1863, for 130 children; average attendance, 97; James Kenneth Armstrong, masterCARRIERS TO:- HEREFORD - Mrs. Gravener & William Jones, Wednesday and Saturday.
LEOMINSTER. - Mrs. Gravenor, Friday
Railway Station (Dinmore), William Linley, Station Master
Bodenham Marked thus * postal address, Marden, Hereford PRIVATE RESIDENTS. Ashworth, Mrs, Hill House Price William The Hall Bailey Richard Crawshay, Pigeon house Starey John Helps, Manor House * Courage Hugh Ferrars, Vennwood Swettenham Albert Warren L.R.C.P.&S. Edin. Hurst View Helme W. John, Broadfield Court Worsey Rev. Frederick William M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage COMMERCIAL Ancient Order of Foresters (Court Arkwright Lodge) (Arthur Maurvan, sec) Lewis James Edgar, gardener to J. H. Starey esq. Baggott John, farmer Medlicott Ellen (Mrs.), farmer & hop grower, Court Farm Baggott Mary Jane (Miss), grocer Medlicott Richard, farmer, Henhouse Bevan Fred. Huntsman to North Herefordshire Hunt * Millichap Thomas, farmer, Meggs Corner Bodenham Reading Room (James E. Lewis, hon. Sec.) North Herefordshire Hunt (Col. J. G. King-King, Hon. Sec. Bullock William, parish clerk Nutt Geo. Railway Inn, Dinmore Station Chilman Charles Francis, England's Gate Inn Old Radnor Trading Co. Lim. (Wm. Daw Agent), coal, lime, & stone merchants, Dinmore Railway Station Colley Henry, wheelwright * Parks John Samuel, farmer, Upper Holbach * Cooke Wm., farmer, Lower Venn Smith Samuel Edward, farmer, Great Pit Davies Alice (Mrs.), farmer & hop grower, Richland Smith Thomas Pritchard, farmer & hop grower, Vern Dinmore Cider Co. cider manufacturers (Charles Samuel Smith, proprietor); cider in casks or bottles, Dinmore Station Swettenham Albert Warren L.R.C.P., & L.R.C.S. Edin. Physician & surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator No. 3 District, Leominster Union, Hurst View Downes Henry, blacksmith Vaughan Walter James, farmer Harris John, farmer, Calderwell Walters Chas. Farmer, Dewdale's Hope Knott John Samuel, farmer, Woodhouse
Bowley Connett Francis, farmer, Butford Farm George Edward, farmer, Broadfield Davies Henry, cider manufacturer & miller (water), Isle of Rhea Jones John, farmer, Red Brick House Davies Wm., John, farmer, Bowley Lane Lewis Edward, farmer & hop grower, Bowley Court Everall George, carpenter & wheelwright Shuker Langley, farmer & hop grower, Lower Broadfields
The Moor Evans Leonard, Moor Villa Powell Thomas, Bankside COMMERCIAL Beaumont Henry, cottage farmer Jones William, farmer Dance Albert, cottage farmer Mayo William, water bailiff Dance Ernest, blacksmith, Pool Head Medlicott Brothers, grocers Daw William, coppice wood dealer Smith Sarah (Mrs.), threshing machine proprietor Gough Frederick Elliott, farmer & hop grower & breeder of Hereford Grey Cattle & Ryeland Sheep, hunters & harness horses, The Moor Vaughan Arthur Thomas, farmer Gravenor Elizabeth Mrs., carrier Williams Edith (Mrs.), farmer, Upper Brockington Gwatkin George Frederick, carpenter Williams Francis Joseph Douglas, cider maker & assistant overseer Jones William, baker Worwood Charles, cottage farmer
Maund Bryan Griffiths William, cottage farmer Stedman Wm., carpenter & wheelwright Morris Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer Symonds George, farmer, Common Phillips Ellen (Mrs.), cottage farmer Symonds Wm., farmer, Pigeon House Poiner Emma (Mrs.), farmer Wilkins Chas. Allen, farmer, Maund Court
Whitechurch Maund Beaumont Frank, farmer, Rowberry Minton William, cider retailer Cook Tom Parker, farmer & hop grower, New House Prosser Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer, The Crosens (Postal address, Fenton, Worcester Davis Arthur, farmer, Beeberry Farm Symonds Edward, farmer, Cornett (postal address, Ullingswick, Worcester). Harper Albt, farmer, Upper Maund Farm
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]