Bodenham, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1862
Extract from Trade Directory of Herefordshire, 1862Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
BODENHAM is a Parish and village 6 miles south from Leominster, 1½ east from Dinmore Station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway, and 8 North from Hereford. The Church of St. Michael is a substantial stone building in the early English style, with square tower containing five bells, and an excellent clock, the gift of John Arkwright, Esq., of Hampton Court. The living is a vicarage in this gentleman's patronage, its value with residence, £686 yearly. There is a small chapel for Wesleyans, and a free school for boys and girls. From Dinmore Hill, 1½ miles northwest, you have an extensive and beautiful prospect. There are several good farms in this parish, chiefly growing apples, hops, wheat, and beans. John Arkwright, Esq., is Lord of the Manor. In 1851 the population was 1,113, and the acreage 4,976 acres. BOWLEY, THE MOOR, MAUND BRYAN, and WHITECHURCH MAUND, are townships in this parish.
Clergy and Gentry Arkwright Rev. H., Vicarage Gibson W., Esq., Hill House Burchall J. H., Esq., Broadfield Court Trades and Professions Baker, Joseph, farmer, Maund Court Harford, John, Parish Clerk and Collector Bray, Mr., farmer, Dewdales Hope Hill, Mr., surgeon, Pent House Burlton, T., farmer Holloway, Joseph, farmer Colebourne, Jno., farmer, Bodenham Court Hyde, John, Miller, Riffin's Mill Daniel, Joseph, butcher & shopkeeper Hyde, Melin, farmer, Lower Broadfield Davies, Edward, farmer, Maund Farm Lait, William, stonemason and grocer Dykes, Jno., cider retailer, Saffrons Cross Lewis, James, farmer, Howton Edwards, Mrs., Sarah, farmer, Pigeon House Moreton, James, Free School master; Mrs. Jane Moreton, mistress Fowler, William, farmer, Holbatch Perkins, Samuel, farmer, Woodhouse Glading, William, head carpenter to Jno. Arkwright, Esq. Phillips, Richard, farmer, Richland Green, Fras, Englands Gate Powell, Richard, farmer, Maund Griffiths, Joseph, farmer, Millcroft Price, Mary Ann, farmer, Bowley Town Griffiths, William, Blacksmith, Builder, and Wheelwright, Poolhead Pritchard, William, farmer, Brockingtow
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from an original edition of this 1862 Trade Directory in Hereford Central Library]