Hide

Bosbury, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BOSBURY, a parish in the hundred of Radlow, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles to the N. of Ledbury, its post town. It is situated on the small river Leden, and contains the hamlet of Upleadon. At this place was formerly a palace of the bishops of Hereford. The remains of it are now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, of the value of £337, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, which is old, is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It contains several monuments. There is a free grammar school, founded by Sir R. Morton, which has an income from endowment of £90 per annum. There are several other charitable endowments producing about £30 a year. Hops are cultivated in the parish. The Ledbury hounds meet here."

"UPLEADON, a hamlet in the parish of Bosbury, county Hereford, 4 miles N.W. of Ledbury."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]