Hide

Bredwardine, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BREDWARDINE, a parish in the hundred of Webtree, in the county of Hereford, 11 miles to the W. of Hereford, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Wye, and had formerly a castle, some ruins of which still remain, and which supplied material for the building of the court-house at the neighbouring village of Moccas. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, of the value of £190, in the patronage of the Rev. N. D. H. Newton, incumbent. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There is an endowment, called Jarvis's Charity, for the support of a free school, and supply of clothing and books for the scholars. It produces about £1,250 a year. The old castle gave name to the family of which Thomas Bredwardine, Archbishop of Canterbury in 1349, was a member. He was a man of great learning, and acquired the title of the Profound Doctor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]