Hide

Brinsop, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BRINSOP, a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, in the county of Hereford, 6 miles to the W. of Hereford. It is on the west side of Creden Hill, and 3 miles from the river Wye. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, of the value of £268, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. George, is a small stone edifice with a turret. It is supposed to have been built in the reign of King Stephen. In the interior are some ancient sculptures and two marble monuments to the memory of the Dansey family, who formerly resided at Brinsop Court. The vicarage is a handsome Elizabethan building, of modern erection. The parochial charities amount to about £15 per annum. The principal seat is Brinsop Court, where is a tree planted by the poet Wordsworth."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]