Bromyard, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1858
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858
Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
BROMYARD is a market town, polling place, and Union town, 14 miles south-west from Worcester, 14 north-east from Hereford, 12 east from Leominster, 12 south from Tenbury, 13 north from Ledbury, and 125 north-west-by-west from London; it is in Bromyard district, Broxash Hundred, Union of its name, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. It is a parish, and consists of the townships of NORTON with BROCKHAMPTON, LINTON, and Winslow. The population, in 1851 was 3,093; and the acreage was 8,611. It is situated on the Hereford and Worcester turnpike road, near to the River Frome, and consists of several irregular streets; the districts around abounding with orchards, and the surrounding country diversified by hill and dale. The magistrates' sittings are held at Dumbleton Hall, Church Street, every Monday, as also the Savings Bank meetings. The Board of Guardians meet every Monday at the Union House, which is situate in the township of linton, 1 mile from the town, and embraces 33 parishes; it will accommodate about 160 persons. The Manor Courts are held quarterly, and the County Court monthly, at the Falcon Hotel. The church of St. Peter, an ancient building, in the Norman and early English style of architecture, is a large and venerable stone structure, standing on an eminence, with square tower containing six bells and a clock.. The interior has been recently repaired and beautified (the pews, organ-loft, and gallery, which will accommodate 1,100 persons, having been stained and varnished), and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, a fine-toned organ, and a small painted window to the memory of the wife of the late vicar; the chancel also contains several mural marble monuments and tablets. The living is vicarage, worth £600 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester. There are Chapels for the Independents and the Primitive Methodists. The Free Grammar School, in Church Street, a stone building, was founded and endowed by Queen Elizabeth, and subsequently augmented by Alderman Perryns, a member of the Goldsmith's Company. In 1850 the original endowments were munificently increased by this company, and a competent master appointed by them. There is also a British School for boys, with an average attendance of 80, and an Endowed School for girls. The Town is chiefly agricultural, a small trade being done in malting and tanning. The population of the township, in 1851, was 1,396; and the acreage is 261. The Bishop of Hereford is lord of the manor. The market day is Monday, and the principle fairs are held on the 25th March, 3rd May, 24th October, and the second Monday in December. The Town is lighted with gas. About 4 miles distant, situated on WALLS HILL, is an old Roman encampment in a very excellent state of preservation.
About 2 miles north-east, is Saltmarsh Castle, the residence of Edmund Higginson, Esq., a noble and splendid edifice, having been renovated from time to time by its present occupier at an enormous expense to a more modern style of architecture, with towers and battlements. A portion of the old castle remains in its primitive state. Buckenhill House, the residence of W. H. Porritt, Esq., is delightfully situated about 1½ miles north-east from the town, and commands a most beautiful view of the country around. About 2½ miles south-east, and adjoining the same is a private chapelry, endowed by the proprietors of Brockhampton House. Here is an infant school for boys and girls. The Bishop of Hereford is lord of the manor; and E. Higginson, Esq., R. B. Phillips, Esq., and the representatives of the late John Barneby, Esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy. The population in 1851, was 528, and the acreage is 1,708. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and beans. Saltmarsh Castle, Down House, Bank House, Staples, Three Mills, The Rhea, Newbarnes, New House, Little Bridge, Brockhill, Home House, Crumplebury, The Grove, and the Warren, are places here.
LINTON is 3 miles south from Bromyard. Clater Park is delightfully situated, about 2 miles from the Town, closely adjoining the turnpike road leading from Bromyard to Worcester, and commands an extensive and picturesque view of the Ankerdine Hills and the River Teme with its beautiful windings for several miles. R. B. Phillips, Esq., is lord of the manor, and William Barneby, Esq., and John Freeman, Esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy. The population in 1851 was 587, and the acreage is 2,430. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, peas, and hops. Clater Park, Pool Hall. Down House, Fearsett, The Scar, Linley Green, Walshcroft, Bringstye Common, Bedlam, Southington, Burley, Cider House, Orchards, Deabley, Downside, Hodghatch, Streamhall, Grundys, and Ashmonten are farms. Burley was occupied by the Romans.
WINSLOW is 2 miles west. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley, and hops. The population, in 1851, was 491, and the acreage is 3,106.
POST OFFICE. - John Bennett, postmaster. Croxwell Street. Night mail arrives daily from Worcester at 7 a.m.; despatched 9 minutes to 6 p.m.; box closes at 5 p.m. Letters may be posted until 20 minutes to 6 p.m. with an additional stamp. Day mail arrives from Worcester at 20 minutes past 5 p.m.; despatched the following morning at 10 a.m. Money Orders are granted and paid at this office.
BROMYARD BANKERS National Provincial Bank of England, open from 10 to 2, (draw on Spooner and Co.), M. W. Osborn, Manager Savings Bank, open every Monday from 12 to 2; James Eckley, Esq., treasurer; John Oakley, actuary INSURANCE AGENTS Albion Life, John Bennett Provincial Fire and Life, Mrs. M. A. E. Cullum British Protection Mutual Life, Joseph Miller Royal Exchange Fire, Thomas Watkins Medical, Invalid, and General Life, W. Wilkes Royal Farmers and General Fire, Life and Hail, J. G. Devereux National Guardian Life and Fire, Joseph Welch Scottish Equitable Life, M. W. Osborn Norwich Union Fire and Life, J. and F. Oakley Sun Fire and Life, J. W. Williams Phœnix Fire, Edward Grubb, senr. Wesleyan Provident, R. Marley PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS Bromyard Union House, Linton, Francis Brilsford, Master; Mrs. Elizabeth Brailsford, Matron; Rev. John Booth, B.A., Chaplain; Miss. Elizabeth Charles, Mistress Magistrates Room, Dumbleton Hall County Court, Falcon hotel, Benjamin Parham, Esq., Judge; Wm. West, Esq., Clerk; Francis Wyatt Dyer, High Bailiff Police Station, Sherford Street. Inland Revenue Office, Falcon Hotel, Wm Ashton, supervisor PUBLIC OFFICERS Clerk to Board of Guardians, T. Griffiths Parish Clerk, John Warburton Clerk to Magistrates, Wm. West, Esq. Relieving Officers, William Vernall, Edward West High Constable, John Cook, Broad street Sub Stamp Distributor, John Bennett Organist St. Peter's, John Bennett PLACES OF WORSHIP Independent Chapel, Sherford Street St. Peter's Church, Rev. J. Palmer, incmbt. Primitive Methodist, Tower Hill SCHOOLS British, Mr. Morgan, master Free Grammar, Henry Wm. Weltch, master Endowed, Miss Ann Garner, mistress COACHES TO LEOMINSTER AND PRESTEIGN - Royal mail, from Bridge Inn, at half past 5 afternoon WORCESTER - Royal mail, from bridge Inn daily, at half past 10, morning CARRIERS TO WORCESTER - From Mason's arms, Joseph Booton, Tuesdays and Fridays, at 5 p.m. returning Wednesday and Saturday MISCELLANEOUS Abel John, farmer, Oak Cottage Lewis J., Crown & Sceptre Inn Sherford Street Allen Richard, carpenter, Sherford Street Lewis Thomas, maltster, Sherford Street Amiss Hannah, New Inn, Broad Street Marley Richard, surgeon, Cruxwell street Amiss J., plumber and painter, Sherford Street Marshall John, gardener, High Street Badham R., solicitor, Cruxwell Street Masters James, tailor, Cruxwell Street Baggott William, Falcon Hotel Millechap J., shoemaker, High Street Bayliss T., wheelwright, High Street Mine Mrs. Elizabeth, boarding and day school, Broad Street Beniams Samuel, corncfactor, Broad Street Morris Mrs., Queen's Arms Inn, High Street Bennett and Handley (Misses Patience and Mary), Linen drapers, Market Place Morris W., earthenware dealer, High Street Bennett J., corndealer, Market Place Moss E., saddler, Market Place Bennett J., newsagent, Cruxwell Street Moss Edward, smith, Church Street Bishop J., shoemaker, High Street Mucklow Samuel, farrier, Market Place Booth rev. John, B.A., Sherford Street Neat Charles, grocer, Market Place Box Henry, painter, High Street Oakley H. E., stationer, market Place Box J., shoemaker, Broad Street Oakley, John and Frederick Warburton, auctioneers and appraisers, Market Place Bray Philip, attorney, Highwell Osborn Marmaduke William, Esq., banker, Broad Street Bridgewater J., shoemaker, Broad Street Owen John, surgeon, Nunwell House Bridgewater Samuel, butcher, Broad Street Palmer Joseph, tailor, High Street Carter John, Dragon Inn, Cruxwell Street Palmer Rev. John, M.A., Vicarage Charlwood Bartholomew, tinman and brazier, High Street Partridge J., beer retailer, New Road Coldrick W., shopkeeper, Cruxwell Street Payne Mary, boarding school, Cruxwell Street Cook John, grocer, Broad Street Phillpott Edmund, King's Arms Inn, High Street Corbett Joseph, butcher, Market Place Phillpott John, chemist, Market Place Cottrell D. W., Hope Pole inn, Market Square Philpott Arthur, draper, Broad Street Cullam M. A., chemist, High Street Powell G., hosier, Market Place Dadwell Frances and Maria, boarding and day school Pumphrey H., draper, High Street Davies Eliza, bonnet maker, High Street Ricketts E., shopkeeper, Cruxwell Street Davies J., grocer, Broad Street Ricketts Richard, blacksmith and farmer, Cruxwell Street Davies James, millwright and machinist, Market Place Rogers Hannah, shopkeeper, Church Street Devereux Edward, grocer and baker, High street Rogers R., shopkeeper, Sheep Street Devereux George, Bay Horse and Commercial Inn, High Street Rouse George, grocer & builder, Cruxwell Street Devereux J. G., chemist, High Street Russell M. A., draper, Broad Street Devereux William, Esq., Sherford Street Shelton J. B., surgeon, High Street Eckley James, solicitor, High Street Sirrell Charlotte. Blacksmith, Olditch Road Eckley Sophia, stationer, Market Street Smith John, shoemaker, Church Street Edwards Hannah, stationer, High Street Taylor John, baker, Broad Street Frencher S., post messenger, High Street Taylor William, marine store dealer, High Street Gordon, Miss, Church Street Thorn John, woolstapler, leather dresser, and glover, Broad Street Green W., earthenware dealer, High Street Tunks Charles, shopkeeper, high Street Griffiths Mr. Thomas, High Street Turbill Joseph, builder, Church Street Grubb Edward, ironmonger, Broad Street Turbill Joseph, builder, Church Street Gwillim Rev. John, M.A., Pump Street Vaughan Fras., baker Harris John, butcher, Cruxwell Street Vernall W., relieving officer, Frog Lane Harris T., watchmaker, High Street Walker Joseph, farmer, church Street Hays E., Tailor, Cruxwell Street Walters G., basket maker, Broad Street Hill Joseph, stonemason Warburton E., ironmonger, Broad Street Hodnette M. J., White Horse inn, Sheep Street Warburton J., post messenger, Back Street Howey E. W., surgeon, Broad Street Warburton John, registrar of Births and Deaths, Church Street Hughes H., hairdresser, Church Street Ward George, saddler, Broad Street Imms Wm., cabinet maker, High Street Watkins T., ironmonger, Broad Street James John, horse and cattle dealer, Church St Weaver Elizabeth, baker Jenks J., tanner, Tanhouse Weeks V., Lion Inn, Broad Street Jenks Miss Mary, Tower hill Welch Joseph, shoemaker, High street Jenks Mrs. Sarah, The Elms West Wm., solicitor, High Street Johnson Joseph, cooper, Back Street Whitehouse Miss, Church Street Jones E. grocer, Broad Street Wilkes Wm., druggist, Market Place Jones rev. John Peter, Chapel House Willcox Samuel, tailor and draper Jones Thomas, tailor, broad Street Williams J. W., grocer, High Street Kelly James, grocer, Broad Street
NORTON MISCELLANEOUS Booton Joseph, carrier Preece Saml. miller Higginson Edmund, Esq., Saltmarshe Castle Smith Richard Houseman, collector of taxes, Bank House Jones James, shopkeeper Tolley Mr. Francis, Down House Lea Walter, shopkeeper Turbill Wm., blacksmith Littlewood T., Esq., Down Villa FARMERS Beavan Mrs. Sarah, Staples Payne Richard, (and Builder), The Rhea Jones John, Middle Norton Roberts Mrs. Elizabeth, Upper Norton Mitchell Benjamin, Downs Smith John, Newbarnes Nott Wm., Newhouse Woakes Harcourt, LittleBridge
BROCKHAMPTON Bond Mrs., farmer, Homehouse Lewis Timothy, farmer, The Grove Holloway William, farmer, The farm Rix John, farmer, The Warren Jones John, farmer, Crumplebury
LINTON MISCELLANEOUS Barneby Mrs. Clater park Higginson Thomas, blacksmith, Bedlam Eviralls Theophilus, wheelwright, Bringstye Common Jones Watkins, shopkeeper Gough Mrs. Jane, blacksmith, Linley Green Summers Samuel, shopkeeper Harris Samuel, shopkeeper, Bringsty Common FARMERS Arden Joseph, Middle Yearsett Mitchell John, Cider House Berriman Thomas, The Scar Page Samuel, Orchards Cook Mrs. Susan, Washcroft Rowberry John, Ashmonton Crawford John, Linton Brook Rowberry William, Burley Green George, Linton Mill Wall Gregory, Downside Hemming Thomas, Yearsett Court
WINSLOW MISCELLANEOUS Cave E., miller and farmer, Rowden Mill Evans John, spade tree manufacturer & haulier Cross Thomas, blacksmith Upfill James Esq., The Green Dorrell Richard, miller, Hardwick Mill Weltch Mr. Henry wm., Fir House FARMERS Cooke Mrs. Louise, Wallcroft Redfern John, Firbush Ferkins Samuel, New House Sherritt H. Green Thomas, Quist's Place Skyrme Thomas, Steward's Hyde Griffiths Edward, Oakeridge Taylor Thomas, Hardwick Hall Hill John, Turkey hall Teague John, The Tack Mercer Thomas, Keep Hill West George, Hardwick Morris Wm., Rough Mintridge Wright Mrs. Mary, The Grove Munn James, Landoline
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858 in Hereford Central Library]