Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bromyard, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1879

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Bromyard, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1879

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879

Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003

BROMYARD.

BROMYARD is a very small, but compact and well built market town, polling place for the county, head of a county court district and union town, 14 miles south-west from Worcester, 14 north-east from Hereford, 12 east from Leominster, 12 south from Tenbury, 13 north from Ledbury and 125 from London. The Parish consists of the townships of BROMYARD, NORTON with BROCKHAMPTON, LINTON and WINSLOW, in Brockash hundred, rural deanery of North Frome, and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. This part of Herefordshire is singularly varied and beautiful, and is considered, from the longevity of the inhabitants, exceptionally healthy. From The Downs an open common, of 350 acres, a splendid view of the surrounding country may be obtained, the mountains of Radnorshire, Brecon, the Clee Hills, Malvern Hills and other eminences being visible. The town is situated on the Hereford and Worcester turnpike road, near to the River Frome, and consists of several irregular streets: the districts around abound with orchards, and the surrounding country is beautifully diversified by hill and dale. The town is lighted with gas. Plans for the drainage of the town have been prepared by Mr. T. Curley, C.E. and the contract let to Mr. H. Welsh, but nothing has yet been done, from a difficulty in raining the necessary funds. There is a railway communication from Worcester to Bromyard, and it is hoped that the line will shortly be extended to Leominster, for which an Act of Parliament has been obtained, which line will ultimately form a direct communication from London to Central Wales. The church of St. Peter, an ancient building in the Norman and Early English style, is a large and venerable stone structure, standing on an eminence, with chancel, nave, aisles, square tower containing 6 bells and a clock: it is fitted with pews and will seat over 1,000 persons: there are several stained windows - one to the memory of the late vicar, the Rev. T. N. Stephenson, being specially worthy of notice, from its clear delineation and effective background; oak choir - seats have been placed in the chancel, to the memory of the Rev. J. Palmer, a former vicar: the chancel contains several mural marble ornaments and tablets, and the burying ground is laid out with ornamental shrubs. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is vicarage, yearly value £420, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester, and held by the Rev. William Martin, M.A. of St. John's College Cambridge. There are chapels for Congregationalists, Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan Methodists. The Free Grammar school, in Church Street, a stone building, was founded and endowed by Queen Elizabeth, and subsequently augmented by Alderman Peryns, a member of the Goldsmith's Company: in 1851 the original endowments were munificently increased by this company, and a competent master appointed by them; In 1878 a second master was appointed to develop the usefulness of the school for the inhabitants. The town is chiefly agricultural, a small trade being done in malting and tanning, and spade handle making is carried on for the Birmingham market. The market day is Thursday, and the fairs are held on the Thursday before the 25th March; on the 25th March (for hiring), 1st May (for hiring, 3rd May, Thursday before July 25th, 29th September (for hiring), and Thursday before October 29th. There are fortnightly stock sales, on Thursday. The National Provincial Bank of England has a branch here; and the Worcester Old Bank (Messrs. Berwick & Co.) have an agency. There is a rifle corps, the 4th Herefordshire, with an excellent band. Here is a Cottage Hospital for the relief of poor patients, which is supported by subscriptions, and is available for residents within 7 miles of Bromyard. About 4 miles distant northwards, situated on Walls Hill, is an old Roman encampment, in a very excellent state of preservation. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are Lords of the Manor. The manor courts are held quarterly. The population of the township in 1871 was 1,322; the area, including Winslow, is 3,368 acres. There are about 300 houses in the township; rateable value. £3.802 per annum. The population of the entire parish in 1871 was 2,978

   The National School, in connection with the parish church, was built about the year 1860, by private subscription & £900 grant, during the incumbency of the Rev. J. Palmer. There is also a British School for boys & girls, with an average attendence of 150.

   SALTMARSH. - In this parish, about 3 miles north-east, is Saltmarsh Castle, the residence of William Barneby, esq. D.L., J.P. a noble and splendid edifice, which has been renovated from time to time by its present occupier at a considerable cost: a portion of the old castle still remains in its primitive state. Saltmarsh Castle was formerly extra-parochial, but now constitutes a parish in the Bromyard Union, with a population in 1871 of 30; rateable value, £362.

   NORTON-WITH-BROCKHAMPTON. - In this township is Buckenhill House, the residence of Lady Shakerley, delightfully situated about1½ miles north from the town, and commands a beautiful view of the country around Brockhampton, the residence of John Habington Barneby-Lutley, esq. D.L., J.P. is pleasantly situated on an eminence about 2½ miles east; and adjoining the same is a chapel endowed by the family, proprietors of Brockhampton House; the Rev. Robert Bentley, B.A. who resides at Bromyard, is curate. Here is an infant school for boys and girls. On the Downs, in an elevated part of the township, is the race course; also rifle butts. Here are stone quarries. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are Lords of the Manor; and William Barneby esq. are chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, rock and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and beans. The area is 5,243 acres (inclusive of Linton); rateable value, £4,410; the population in 1871 was 578.

   LINTON township is adjoining to Bromyard town, and extends 3 miles south. Clater Park, the seat of William Barneby, esq. D.L., J.P. is delightfully situated about 2 miles from the town, closely adjoining the turnpike road leading from Bromyard to Worcester, and commands an extensive and picturesque view of the Ankerdine Hills and the River Teme, with its beautiful windings, for several miles. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners and John H, Barneby-Lutley, esq. are lords of the manor; and John H. Barneby-Lutley, esq. J.P., William Barneby, esq. J.P., and the Rev. Arthur Childe are the chief landowners. The soil is Clayey and loamy; subsoil, rock and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, peas and hops. Cider is made here. The population in 1871 was 605; rateable value, £4,345.


   POST OFFICE, Bringsty Common. - Joseph Wood, receiver. Letters arrive from Worcester at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.28 p.m.

   LOWER BROCKHAMPTON. - John H. Barneby-Lutley esq. is lord of the manor and sole landowner.

   WINSLOW township is adjoining to Bromyard town, and extends to 2½ miles west-by-south. Munderfield Harold, the seat of captain William Enderby, J.P. for county Longford, Ireland, is in this township. Among the principal residences here is that of Mr. William Holder, a brick-built mansion, commanding a beautiful home view. Wallcroft House, about 1 mile north-west, is a modern stone structure, with a pleasant prospect; it is the property of the occupier, Mr. Edward Drew. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley and hops. The soil is chiefly clay; subsoil, clay and rock. The principle landowners are W. Henry Barneby, esq., J. H. Barneby-Lutley, esq., Captain Enderby and Mr. E. Drew. The population in 1871 was 473; the area is 3,368 acres, inclusive of Bromyard; rateable value, £4,900.

   Parish Clerk.- William Warburton

Official Establishments, Local Institutions &c
   POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office.- Mrs. Margaret Bennett, Postmistress, Market Square. The mails arrive from Worcester at 6.42 a.m. & 12.30 p.m.; dispatched at 1 p.m., 6.08 p.m. & 7.35 p.m. Letters for the greater part of Linton & Brockhampton are delivered from Worcester via Bringsty Common
   COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR BROMYARD PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION:-
    Sir Richard Harington, bart. [County Court judge]. Whitbourne Court (chairman)
  Rev. W. P. Hopton, Bishop's Frome Hon. B. M. St. John, Birchyfields
  Rev. E. R. Hampden, Cradley Rectory James Lane Wight, esq. Tedstone Court
  J. H. Barneby-Lutley, esq. Brockhampton W. Henry Barneby, esq. Bredenbury Court
  William Barneby, esq. Saltmarsh Castle Rev. Arthur Childe, Edvin Ralph
  George B. Yapp, esq. Cradley E. Bickerton Evans, esq. Whitbourne Hall
  Thomas Henry Little, esq. Cradley Clerk, A. W. Knott, solicitor, Bromyard
   Petty Sessions are held at the Police Court, Church Street, every alternate Monday, at 11 o'clock. The following places are included in the petty Sessional division:- Bromyard, Atenbury, Bredenbury, Collington, Cowarne Little, Cowarne Much, Cradley, Edvin Ralph, Evesbatch, Felton, Froome Bishop, Grendon Bishop, Grendon Warren, Hampton Charles, Linton, Moreton Jeffries, Norton, Lower Brockhampton, Ocle Pitchard, Pencombe, Saltmarsh, Upper Sapey, Stanford Bishop, Stoke Lacy, Tedstone Delamere, Tedstone Wafer, Thornbury, Ullingswick, Wacton, Whitbourne, Winslow, Wolferlow, Edvin Loach & Stoke Bliss
   INSURANCE AGENTS:-
Alliance, T. Nott, Stoke Bliss
Norwich Union Fire & Life, J. B. Weeks, Broad Street
Sun Fire & Life, J. W. Williams, High Street
   PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS:-
   County Court, Police Court, Church Street, Rupert Kettle, esq. judge; A. S. Allen, esq. registrar; Francis Wyatt Dyer, high bailiff, Hereford; William Warburton, assistant bailiff, Church Street; sittings every alternate month. The following is a list of places in the jurisdiction of the court: - Acton Beauchamp (Worcester), Avenbury, Bishop's Frome, Bredenbury, Bromyard, Collington, Edvin Loach, Edvin Ralph, Evesbatch, Felton, Grendon Bishop, Grendon Warren, Hampton Charles, Linton, Little Cowarne, Lower Sapey (Worcester), Moreton Jeffries, Much Cowarne, Norton, Ocle Pitchard, Pencombe, Stanford Bishop, Stoke Lacy, Tedstone Delamere, Tedstone Wafer, Thornbury, Ullingswick, Upper Sapey, Wacton, Whitbourne, Winslow & Wolferlow.
   Fire Engine House, Back Street
   Herefordshire (4th) Rifle Volunteers, Thomas Henry Purser, captain
   Inland Revenue Office, Hop Pole Hotel, James Woodhead, Church Street, Officer
   Police Station, Church Street; Thomas Ovens, Superintendent constable; Richard Strangward, resident surgeon
   Cottage Hospital, The Lord Bishop of the Diocese, president; W. Henry Barneby, esq. Sir W. Harrington, bart. & Rev. William Martin, trustees.
   Weighing machine, Machine Street
BROMYARD UNION
   The Union comprises the following places in Herefordshire viz:- Avenbury, Bishop's Frome, Bredenbury, Bromyard, Collington, Cradley, Edvin Loach, Edvin Ralph, Evesbatch, Felton, Grendon Bishop, Grendon Warren, Hampton Charles, Linton, Little Cowarne, Lower Brockhampton, Moreton Jeffries, Much Cowarne, Norton with Brockhampton, Ocle Pitchard, Pencombe, Saltmarsh, Stanford Bishop, Stoke Lacy, Tedstone Delamere, Tedstone Wafer, Thornbury, Ullingswick, Upper Sapey, Wacton, Whitbourne, Winslow & Wolferlow. The following parishes are in Worcestershire: - Acton Beauchamp, Edvin Loach, Lower Sapey. Gross estimated rental of the union, £10,087; rateable value, £89,527.
   Board Day, Thursday fortnightly
   Clerk.- Edward Lashford cave, High Street
   Assistant Overseers.- John Ricketts for Bromyard, John Clements for Winslow, Avenbury & Wacton; H. Hughes for Linton & Edvin Loach; J. Grubb for Norton; J. Gibbs for Little Cowarne; - Owen for Felton; - Taylor for Evesbatch; J. Davis for Frome Bishop; Edwin Boulcott for Cowarne Magna; William Morris for Ocle Pitchard; Benjamin Bishop for Pencombe; William Ashcroft for Whitbourne; John Owen for Ullingswick; T. Grubb for Thornbury
   Collectors.- David Wilkes, Church Street & Frederick Nicholas
   Relieving Officers.- David Wilkes, Church Street (No. 1 district); Frederick Nicholas (No. 2 district)
   Vaccination Officers.- David Wilkes, Church Street, Frederick Nicholas
   Medical Officers.- William Powell, Broad Street (No. 1 district); George Ernest Frederick Etheredge, Cruxwell Street (No. 2 district)
   Superintendent Registrar.- Joseph B. Weeks, Broad Street
   Registrar of Births & Deaths, Henry Oakley, Market Place; David Wilkes, Church Street; Frederick Nicholas
   Registrar of Marriages, Henry Pumphrey
   Workhouse, Linton. - Alfred Whitney, master; Rev. John Booth, M.A. chaplain; George Ernest Frederick Etheredge, surgeon; Mrs. Whitney, matron
RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY
Clerk, Edward Lashford Cave, High Street Medical Officer of Health, J. Sandford, esq. Hereford
Inspector, Thomas Barrs, Sherford Street  
SCHOOL ATTENDANCE COMMITTEE
Clerk, E. Lashford cave, High Street School Attendance Officer, Thomas Barrs, Sherford Street
PUBLIC OFFICERS
Clerk to Assessment Committee, Edward Lashford Cave Organist of St. Peter's, Austin Bigg
Clerk to Highway Board, to Bromyard Charity Trustees, & to Commissioners of Land & Assessed Taxes, Joseph B. Weeks, Broad Street Town Crier, James Harrell
Inland Revenue Officer, James Woodhead, Church Street  
PLACES OF WORSHIP
Congregational Chapel, Sherford Street, Rev. John Peter Jones, minister St. Peter's Church, Rev. William Martin, M.A. vicar
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Tower Hill Wesleyan Methodists, New Road
SCHOOLS
British, Thomas Carter, master National, Austin Bigg, master; J. J. Addiman, assistant master; Mrs. Biggs, sewing mistress, average attendance 120
FREE GRAMMAR, Rev. Henry William Weltch, B.A. headmaster & William Robinson, A. A. assistant master  
Carriers to Worcester. - James Tarbath, Lion Inn, Broad Street, at 7 a.m. on Saturday, rturning same day Railway Station, Tom Rattue, Station Master
BROMYARD
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Allan Anthony Swainson, Broad Street Jenks The Misses, The Elms, Tower Hill
Bentley Rev. Robert, B.A. [Vicar of Grendon Bishop Jones Rev. John Peter [Congregational], Chapel House, Sherford Street
Booth Rev. John, B.A. [vicar of Wacton], The Firs Lipscombe The Misses, Prospect Villa
Bray Mrs. Church Street Marshall Francis, Sherford Street
Bridgewater Mrs. New Road Martin Rev. William, M.A., Vicarage
Cave Edward Lashford, Sherford House Morgan James, Church Street
Cook Mrs. High Street Owen John, M.D. Pump Street
Corbett Mrs. Bissel Terrace Palmer Joseph, Church Street
Cotton Thomas, Church Street Philpott Mrs. Church Street
Derry Philip, New Road Powell William, Broad Street
Devereux Miss, Church Street Purser Capt. Thomas Henry, Bird's Eye Cottage
Eckley Miss, Church Street Ricketts Miss Tower Hill
Eckley Mrs. High Street Rouse Edward, New Road
Etheredge George Ernest Frederick, Cruxwell Street Rouse George, New Road
Goodwin Thomas, High Street Shelton John Browne, High Street
Halford Edward Ingram, High Street West William Eskley, High Street
Jenks James, Tan House  
COMMERCIAL
Allen Anthony Swainson (firm West & Allen), solicitors & registrar of County Court, Broad Street Loxley James, Railway Inn, Church Street
Allies Thomas, Bay Horse agricultural & commercial Inn, High Street Macintosh Donald, general outfitting, draper & boot & shoe warehouse, High Street
Allkins William, butcher, High Street Marshall John, nurseryman, seedsman, greengrocer & fruiterer, High Street
Amiss John & Son, plumbers, painters, glaziers & paper hangers, Sherford Street Mason Thomas, miller & corn dealer, High Street
Badham John & Thomas, painters, glaziers * paper hangers, Cruxwell Street Masters James, tailor, Cruxwell street
Badham John, tailor, Machine Street Michael William, wheelwright
Barrs Thomas Inspector of nuisances & school attendance Officer, Sherford Street Millechap John, shoe maker, High Street
Bayliss Thomas, Well sinker, pump maker, Wheelwright, Market Place Mitchell William, boot & shoe maker, Sheep Street
Bennet Patience (Miss), linen draper, hosier & seed dealer, Market Place Morley Thomas, shopkeeper & tripe dresser, Cruxwell Street
Bennett Margaret (Mrs.) & John Printers stationers &c. & post office, market place Morris William, fruiterer, Broad Street
Bevington Edwin, Road Surveyor Moss Edward, blacksmith, Church Street
Box Mary (Mrs.), baker & confectioner, High Street National Provincial Bank of England (branch) (Edward Ingram Halford, manager), High Street; draw on head office, London
Box William Henry, plumber, painter, glazier & paper hanger, High Street Oakley Frederick Warburton auctioneer, appraiser, estate agent & timber valuer, Market place
Brace John, blacksmith & implement dealer, Cruxwell street Oakley Henry (Mrs.), servants' registry office, Cruxwell Street
Bridgewater Samuel, shoe maker, Sherford Street Oakley Henry Evans, printer, Market Place
Bromyard Coffee Tavern (John Blanthorn, man.), High Street Oates J, Arnway, land agent & valuer, Broad Street
Brown Sergeant, teacher of drill, Market Place Owen John, M.D. surgeon, Pump Street
Cave Edward Lashford, solicitor, & clerk to Board of Guardians, High Street Palmer Benjamin, watch & clock maker, Market Place
Chambers Samuel, veterinary surgeon, Sherford Street Palmer John Thomas, cabinet maker, upholsterer joiner, coffin maker, &c. Hereford Street
Clarke Josiah, tailor, Sherford Street Partridge George, baker & confectioner, High Street
Coldrick William, fishmonger & fruiterer, High Street Partridge Joseph, King's Arms, High Street
Cook Sarah (Mrs.), grocer & provision dealer, Broad Street Pasco Walter, London, Birmingham & Sheffield warehouse, High Street
Corbett Sarah (Miss), shopkeeper, Cruxwell Street Percy Henry, Baker & confectioner, Market Place
Cottage Hospital (The Bishop of Hereford, president) Philpott John, grocer, Cruxwell Street
Cottrell Daniel William, Hop Pole Hotel, Market Place Philpott Maria (Mrs.), linen & woollen draper, Broad Street
Cox William, grocer & provision dealer, Market Place Pitt Edward, coffee & eating house, Broad Street
Cropp Elizabeth (Miss), beer retailer, Church Street Porter William, shoe maker Hereford Street
Cullun The Misses, ladies boarding & day School, Tower Hill House Powell George, clothier & outfitter, Market Place
Dadswell The Misses, establishment for young ladies (boarding & day) in a most healthy & delightful locality, 5 minutes from the railway station, Mount Pleasant Powell William, surgeon, Broad Street
Davies James, grocer, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants, Broad Street Price William, Dragon Inn
Davies James, millwright & machinist, Sherford Street Price William, hair dresser, High Street
Derry John, farmer, Oak Cottage Price William, tailor & draper, High Street
Etheredge George Ernest Frederick, physician & surgeon, Cruxwell Street Pumphrey Henry, linen & woollen draper, High Street
Evans George (Late Russell, general draper, outfitter & hatter, family mourning & funeral furnisher, brass & iron bedsteads & bedding, Broad Street Rattue Tom, station master, Tower Hill
Fox Richard, saddler & harness maker, High Street Redding Thomas, carpenter & wheelwright, Church Street
Francis George, gasfitter, bellhanger & locksmith, Market Place Reynolds John, coal agent & corn merchant, Pump Street
Francis Mary (Mrs.), straw bonnet maker, Market Place Richards Lewis, watch & clock maker, High Street
Free Grammar School, (Rev. Henry William, Weltch, B.A. head master), Church Street Rogers William, grocer & provision dealer, Market Place
Gas Works (Alfred Henry Ward, lessee) Rouse George (exors. of), builders & contractors, English & foreign timber merchants, New Road
Gower Emma (Miss), dress maker, Cruxwell Street Shelton John Brown, surgeon, High Street
Green William, shopkeeper, Sheep Street Sirrell George, blacksmith & implement maker, Machine Street
Griffiths Henry, tailor, New Road Smith Charles, butcher, Market Place
Griffiths Thomas Charles Bradford, chemists & druggist, High Street Smith Edwin, Crown & Sceptre, Sherford Street
Grubb Edward Tolley, dealer in agricultural implements, Broad Street Smith James, grocer, High Street
Grubb Hannah (Mrs.), ironmonger & tin plate worker, Broad Street Spencer William, butcher, High Street
Hall James William, wine & spirit merchant & retailer, Broad Street Tarbath Henry, butcher, Broad Street
Hall Joseph, shoe maker, Newman's Lane Tarbath James, Lion Inn & posting house, Horses & carriages for hire, Broad Street
Halsey Emma (Mrs.), White Horse, Cruxwell Street Taylor John, baker & confectioner, Broad Street
Harris John, butcher, Cruxwell Street Taylor William, London, Birmingham & Sheffield warehouse, High Street
Heath Maria (Mrs.), dress maker, Broad Street Telford Andrew, gardener, Market Place
Herefordshire (4th) Rifle Volunteers (Thomas Henry Purser, captain Turbill John Edward, beer retailer, New Road
Hill William, coach & cart wheelwright, High Street Turbill Joseph, builder, Church Street
Hughes Henry, photographer & hair dresser, High Street Vaughan Francis, baker & provision dealer, High Street
Hutt Emma (Mrs.), dress maker, Church Street Wall John, tailor & outfitter, Broad Street
Imms William, cabinet Maker, High Street Wall William, timber dealer, Market Place
James George, shopkeeper, Sheep Street Walters George, basket & chair maker, Cruxwell Street
James John, butcher & cattle dealer, High Street Warburton William, parish clerk & bailiff of County Court, Church Street
James John, carpenter, Sheep Street Ward Alfred Henry, engineer & lessee of gas works, Sherford Street
James Thomas, builder, Pump Street Ward George H., saddler & harness maker, Broad Street
James William, builder, bricklayer, Tower Hill Ward Matilda (Mrs.), fancy dealer, High Street
Jenks James, tanner & currier, Tan House Weeks Joseph Burrow, seedsman, corn dealer, & maltster, Broad Street
Jenks The Misses. Preparatory day school, The Elms, Tower Hill West & Allen, solicitors, Broad Street
Johnson Christopher, Cooper, china, glass, & earthenware dealer, High Street West William Eckley, solicitor, Broad Street
Johnson John, hair dresser & tobacconist, Cruxwell Street West William, solicitor, & commissioner for taking acknowledgements of married women & appeals in chancery, Broad Street
Johnson Mary & Margaret (Misses), booksellers, stationers & newspaper agents, Market Place Wilcox Samuel, tailor & woollen draper, Broad Street
Jones Charles, chemist & druggist & dentist, Market Place Wilkes David, registrar of births & deaths, Brockhampton
Jones Edward, tailor & draper, Broad Street Williams Charles, boot & shoe maker, & painter & glazier, Broad Street
Knott Ambrose William, solicitor, clerk to the justices of Bromyard division, commissioner to administer oaths in Supreme Court of Judicature, & for taking acknowledgments of deeds by married women, Broad Street; & at Worcester Williams James Whitsey, grocer & provision factor, High Street
Lane Henry, Queen's Arms, High Street Wilson Harry, Falcon Hotel, Broad Street
Lewis George, baker & grocer, Sheep Street Woodhead James, inland revenue officer, Church Street
Lewis John, shopkeeper, Market Place Worcester Old Bank (agency) (James Whitsey Williams, agent), High Street
Lewis Robert, builder & contractor, Sherford Street Worcester Permanent Building Society (branch) (John Millichap, High Street, agent), Church Street
Lock James, castrator, Sherford Street Working Men's Institute, Church Street
Saltmarsh
Barneby William, D.L., J.P., Saltmarsh Castle  
Norton
Finney William, Bromyard Downs Shakerley Lady, Buckenhill House
Reynolds John, Down Side Thompson William James Sandford, Littlebridge House
COMMERCIAL
Allen James, farmer, Middle Norton Marshall William, gamekeeper to William Barneby, esq. Saltmarsh Lodge
Bedford Joseph & Thomas, farmers, Newhouse Mason Thomas, miller & farmer, Three Mills
Booton Ann (Mrs.), beer & cider retailer, The Downs Pacey Peter, farm bailiff to J. H. Barneby-Lutley, esq. Buckenhill Farm
Davies Charles, beer & cider retailer, & farmer, The Downs Page Herbert, Holly Tree, & cider retailer
Furlong Elisha, farmer, The Downs Thompson William James Sandford, land agent to William Barneby, esq. Littlebridge House
Hodges John, sawyer, The Downs Turbill William, Blacksmith, Sandy cross
Jones James, shopkeeper Vale Mrs. Farmer, Walk Mill
Brockhampton
Barneby-Lutley John Habington, D.L., J.P. The Court Ward Francis, carpenter, Brookhall
Nott Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Brookhall Wyndham Hugh, steward to J. H. Barneby-Lutley, esq.
Linton
Barneby William, J.P., D.L. Clater park Weltch Rev. Henry William., B.A. headmaster of Bromyard Grammar school, The Down House
Gardiner Thomas, High Well House West William, Frome Bank
COMMERCIAL
Alltree John, farmer, Linton Brook James John, beer & cider retailer, The Downs
Amiss John, monumental mason Jay John, castrator & farmer, Watchcalf
Barton Henry, farmer & hop grower, Yearsett Court Lord John, farmer, Southington
Bowen William, wheelwright & blacksmith, Linley Green Maddy John Thomas, farmer, & steward to William Barneby, esq. Slipstone
Bray Thomas, farmer, Burley Orgee Samuel, farmer, Deabley
Challen William, gamekeeper to William Barneby, esq. Clater Court Page Richard, farmer & overseer, Old House
Colbourne John, foreman of Brockhampton Building works, Bringsty Common Page Thomas, farmer, The Scar
Dovey James, shoe maker Potter William, farmer, The Downs
Elcocks Thomas, farmer, Linton Mill Rowbrey John, cider retailer & farmer
Finney William, brick & tile makers, Stream Hall stone quarry Rowbrey Mary (Mrs.), farmer
French John, farmer, Hodgebatch Summers William, shopkeeper
George Charles, grocer & blacksmith, Linley green Walker Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Deabley
Grubham John, beer retailer Walker Joseph, farmer, Deabley
Harris Job, shopkeeper & cider retailer, Bringsty Common Wall Ann (Mrs.), beer & cider retailer
Hemming Thomas, farmer, Middle Yearsett Wall Richard, farmer, Deabley
Henry James, farmer, Burley Williams Arthur, farmer, Nuttage
Hill John, farmer, Burley Wood Joseph, blacksmith, & post office, Bringsty Common
Winslow
Drew Edward, Wallcroft House Holder William, The Green
Enderby Capt. William [late 5th Fusiliers] (J.P. for County Longford, Ireland), Munderfield Harold; & Naval & Military Club, London  
COMMERCIAL
Addyman James, farmer, tack Farm Mercer George, farmer, Upper Winston
Brown Richard Thomas, farmer & miller, Hardwick Mill Mercer Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Keep Hill
Buckley James, sawyer Miles Charles, cowkeeper
Clements John, farmer, rate collector & coal dealer, Sturts Milner James, farmer, Rowden Abbey
Cross William, blacksmith, Crow's Ash Morris Edward, farmer, Ockeridge Farm
Evans Jane, (Mrs.), timber dealer & spade tree manufacturer Morris John, farmer & landowner, Crow's Ash
Green George, farmer & auctioneer, Hardwick Mountford Joshua, farmer, Newhouse
Green Thomas, farmer, Quist's Place Pattinson John, farmer, Turkey Hall
Greenway Edwin, farmer, Floodgates Perry Thomas, farmer, Gonderland
Hall Joseph, farmer, Puddlehill Pitt Thomas, miller & farmer, Rowden Mill
Holloway Joseph, farmer & hop grower Powell John, farmer, Landinole
Holloway William, farmer, Steward's Hyde Redfern John, farmer, Firbush
Kev Thomas, land steward to Capt. William Enderby, Munderfield Harold Ricketts John, farmer & rate collector, Ballhurst
Lane Charles, farmer, Embeges Skerrett Henry, farmer, Lower Winslow
Mason Richard, farmer, Rowden farm Taylor Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Hardwick Hill

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879 in Hereford Central Library]