Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bromyard, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1929

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Bromyard, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1929

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1929

Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003


BROMYARD.

BROMYARD a small, but compact and well built market and union town, is a head of a county court district and petty Sessional division, on the Hereford and Worcester road, near to the River Frome, 14 miles south-west from Worcester, 14 north-east from Hereford, 12 east from Leominster, 11 south from Tenbury, 13 north from Ledbury and 135 from London. The Parish is in the Leominster division of the county, Broxash hundred, rural deanery of Bromyard archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. This part of Herefordshire is singularly varied and beautiful, and is considered, from the longevity of the inhabitants, exceptionally healthy. From The Downs an open common, of 350 acres, a splendid view of the surrounding country is afforded, the mountains of Radnorshire, Brecon, the Clee Hills, Malvern Hills and other eminences. The districts adjacent abound with orchards, and the surrounding country is beautifully diversified by hill and dale. The government of the town is vested in a body of 11 members, formed under the Local Government Act, 1894, who act as the Urban District Council. The town is lighted by electricity, and with gas by a Company, from works near the railway station, erected in 1893, and has a regular water supply. There is a station here on the branch line of the Great Western Railway, between Worcester and Leominster. The church of St. Peter, standing on an eminence, an ancient building in the Norman and Early English styles, consists of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, transepts, and a massive central embattled tower containing a clock and 6 bells: there are several stained windows, including one to the Rev. T. N. Stephenson, a former vicar, who died in 1876: the oak choir seats in the chancel were provided as a memorial to the Rev. J. Palmer, a former vicar, who died in 1867: the organ was renovated in 1881: the font is Early Norman: the communion table was brought from Hereford Cathedral by the Rev. Dr. Cope, a former vicar: the transept chapels were formerly separated from the nave by carved oak screens: in 1887 the south transept was restored at the expense of the late R. Phipps esq.: in 1897-8 the north transept was restored: the nave was reseated in oak in 1912: there are 700 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £486, including 7 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Philip Austen Lushington M. A. of Balliol College, Oxford, Prebendary of Putston Major, and surrogate. There is a Congregational Chapel in Sherford Street, founded in 1696, with sittings for 200 persons; a Primitive Methodist Chapel, at present (1929) closed, in Victoria Road built in 1899, with 300 sittings; a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in New Road, built in 1857, seating 200; St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in Bishell Walk, built in 1914, with 120 sittings, and a Friends' Meeting House, in Broad Street. The cemetery off Church Street was opened in 1916, and is 1¾ acres in extent. The Public Hall in Church Street is used as a cinema, and for meetings, theatrical performances and concerts. The County Police Station in church Street is a structure of brick, consisting of magistrates' room, with waiting and retiring rooms. The market day is Thursday. There are fortnightly stock sales held on alternate Thursdays, and special store bullock sales in April and October. The Isolation Hospital was built in 1896 and will hold 8 patients, and is now under the management of the Hereford Rural District Council. There is a private convalescent home for girls, maintained by Messrs. Cadbury Limited for the benefit of their staff. About 4 miles distant northwards, on Walls Hill, is a Roman Encampment, in a very excellent state of preservation. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are Lords of the manor. Anciently the ecclesiastical parish of Bromyard, comprising an area of 7,580 acres, consisted of the 4 townships of Bromyard, Linton, Norton and Winslow: for ecclesiastical and civil purposes, however, the areas of these parishes have been considerably modified, and the ecclesiastical parish now comprises the Urban Parish of Bromyard and portions of the civil parishes of Brockhampton, Linton, Norton, Whitbourne, and Winslow. The area of the civil or Urban Parish of Bromyard comprises 213 acres; the population in 1921 was 1,573 in the civil parish and 2,625 in the ecclesiastical parish (which includes parts of Brockhampton, Linton and Winslow).

   Parish Clerk.- Stanley W. Taylor.

   SALTMARSHE.- About 3 miles north-east, is Saltmarsh Castle, the property and residence of William Theodore Barneby, esq. D.L., J.P. it is a modern edifice, in the Decorated Gothic style. Saltmarsh Castle was formerly extra-parochial, but now constitutes a parish in the Bromyard Union. It is still reputed to be extra-parochial for ecclesiastical purposes. The area is 129 acres; the population in 1921 was 10

   LINTON is a township adjoining the town of Bromyard, and extends 3 miles south. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners and Lt.-Col. John T. Lutley D.L., J.P. who are lords of the manor and W. T. Barneby esq. D.L., J.P. are the chief land owners. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil rock and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, peas and hops. Cider is made here. The area is 2,330 acres of land and 1 of water; the population in 1921 was 430.

   Post. M.O., T. & T.E.D. Office, Bringsty. Letters from Worcester.

   NORTON.- In this township, containing Buckenhill House, at present (1929) unoccupied, the property of John White esq. a mansion about 1½ miles north from the town, and commanding a beautiful view of the country around. On the Downs, in an elevated part of the township is the old race course. There are golf links and stone quarries; an oak tree was planted March 15th, 187, by Alice Mary, wife of W. Henry Barneby esq. (d. 1914), in commemoration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are Lords of the Manor, and William Theodore Barneby esq. D.L., J.P. and Lt.-Col. John Talbot Lutley D.L., J.P. are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, rock and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and beans. The area is 1,731 acres of land and 3 of water; the population in 1921 was 373.

   WINSLOW is a township adjoining to Bromyard town, and extends for 2½ miles west-by-south. Munderfield Harold is the residence of Thomas John Edwards esq.; Rowden Abbey, the seat of Col. Lewis Birch, 2 miles from Bromyard station and a quarter of a mile from Rowden Mill Station, is a half timbered mansion, built in 1881, and picturesquely situated on the side of the valley. The principle landowners are the exors. of the late C. L. Enderby esq. J.P, the exors of the late Maj. R. L. Heygate J.P. and G. H. Montgomery esq. The soil is chiefly clay; subsoil clay and rock. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley and hops. The population in 1921 was 371; the area is 3,095 acres of land and 6 of water.

   Letters via Worcester.

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Church Street. Letters through Worcester & for part of Linton & Brockhampton are delivered from Worcester via Bringsty Common
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
Meets at Victoria Chambers, Cruxwell Street, 1st Monday in each month, at 7 p.m.
Members
Chairman, William Arthur Guess J.P.
John Charles Brice Edwin Charles Mason
Ulysses James G. Dancer Thomas A. Partington
Charles Walter Feltham Reuben John Philpott
Arthur Hicks Richard Preece
Rev. Preb. P. A. Lushington M. A. Christopher H. Ware
Officers
Clerk, Sidney Sirrell, Victoria Chambers Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, James D, Barrs, Broad Street, Bromyard
Treasurers, Lloyds Bank Ltd. Broad Street
Medical Officer of Health, Archibald Penman M.B., Ch.B. Edin., D.P.H. York House, York Road, Bromyard Collector of District and Water Rates, Joseph Woodyatt, Market Square chambers
 
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE FOR BROMYARD PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION
Lutley Lt.-Col. John Talbot D. L. Chairman Enderby Lt.-Col. Samuel Herbert
Evans Capt. Edward F. Herbert, vice-chairman Guess William Arthur
Barneby William Theodore D. L. Harington His Honour Judge Edward
Bourne Col. Gilbert Chas. M.A., D.Sc., F.R.S., D.L. Harington Sir Richard bart. M.A., D.L.
Little Henry Brace
Bourne Capt. Robert Croft M.A., M.P. Millyard John William
Cooke John Ernest Moss Thomas
Cresswell George D.L. Newbold Alfred
The Chairman, for the time being, of the Bromyard Urban & Rural District Councils are ex-officio justices Clerk to the Justices, Sidney Sirrell, Victoria Chambers, Cruxwell Street
   Petty Sessions are held at the Police Court, Church Street, every alternate Monday, at 11 o'clock. The following places are included in the Petty Sessional Division:-
   Acton Beauchamp, Avenbury, Bredenbury, Brockhampton, Bromyard, Collington, Cowarne Little, Cowarne Much, Cradley, Edvin Loach, Edvin Ralph, Evesbatch, Felton, Bishops Frome, Grendon Bishop, Hampton Charles, Linton, Moreton Jeffries, Norton, Ocle Pychard, Pencombe with Grendon Warren, Saltmarshe, Upper Sapey, Stanford Bishop, Stoke Lacy, Tedstone Delamere, Tedstone Wafer, Thornbury, Ullingswick, Wacton, Whitbourne, Winslow & Wolferlow.
 
BROMYARD RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL
The District comprises the same townships as tin the Union, with the exception of Bromyard. The area is 61,047 acres; the population in 1921 was 7,697
The Council meets at Court House, monthly, on Thursday at 2.30 p.m.
Chairman, George Cresswell esq. D.L., J.P. Ocle Court, Hereford
Officials
Clerk, David Charles Alfred Williams, Broad Street Treasurers, National Provincial Bank Ltd., Bromyard
Medical Officer of Health, Archibald Penman, M.B., Ch.B. Edin. D.P.H. York house, York Road, Bromyard Surveyor, Richard Oseman Smith, Ashfields, Hereford Road
Sanitary Inspector, Joseph Woodyatt, Market Square Chambers, Bromyard
 
PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS
Cemetery, off Church Street, James D. Barrs, Clerk
County Court, Police Court, Church Street, His Honor Judge R. H. Roope Reeve K.C.; Horace Harford Foster, registrar & High Bailiff; Harold Salisbury, Bramley Dene, Madresfield Road, Great Malvern, Chief Clerk; sittings every two months. The following is a list of places in the jurisdiction of the court:-
   Acton Beauchamp, Avenbury, Bishops Frome, Bredenbury, Brockhampton, Bromyard, Collington, Cradley, Edvin Loach, Edvin Ralph, Evesbatch, Felton, Grendon Bishop, Hampton Charles, Linton, Little Cowarne, Lower Sapey (Worcester), Moreton Jeffries, Much Cowarne, Norton, Ocle Pychard, Pencombe with Grendon Warren, Saltmarshe, Stanford Bishop, Stoke Lacy, Tedstone Delamere, Tedstone Wafer, Thornbury, Ullingswick, Upper Sapey, Wacton, Whitbourne, Winslow & Wolferlow
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of Worcester, C. Hoult, 191 Corporation Street, Birmingham, Official Receiver.
County Police Station, Church street Fire Engine House, Frog Lane
Ministry of labour Employment Department, Market Square Chambers, Joseph Woodyatt, branch manager
Public Hall, Church Street, Mrs. Florence Diacoff, proprietress
Weighing machine, Station Yard
 
BROMYARD UNION
The population for the union in 1921 was 9,270; area 61,260 acres
Board day, Thursday (monthly), at the Court House, at 11 a.m.
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, Capt. Edward Francis Herbert Evans esq. J.P. of Whitbourne Hall, near Worcester
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, David Charles Alfred Williams, Broad Street, Bromyard
Treasurers, National Provincial Bank, Ltd. Bromyard
Collector to the Guardians & Relieving & Vaccination Officer, Frederick Cyril Biggs, 9 Broad Street, Bromyard
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, No 1 district, Wilfrid W. Wells M.B., Ch.B. Bromyard; No 2 district, Samuel Wilfred Russell B.A., M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O. Bank House, Bromyard; No 3 district, L. A. Drake M.B., Ch.B. The Woodlands, Cradley, Malvern
Bromyard Institution, Linton, a building of stone to hold 100 inmates, Rev. Preb. Philip Austen Lushington M.A., vicar of Bromyard, chaplain; Samuel Wilfred Russell B.A., M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O. Bank House, Bromyard, medical officer; Frederick Smith, master
 
BROMYARD REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Superintendent Registrar, Vincent B. Weeks, Broad Street, Bromyard
Registrar of Births and Deaths (Bromyard sub district) & Marriages, Frederick Cyril Higgs, 9 Broad Street. Bromyard; deputy, Stanley W. Taylor, High Street, Bromyard
 
PUBLIC OFFICERS
Clerk to the Joint Burial Committee, James D. Barrs, Broad Street Chambers, Bromyard
Assessor & Collector of the Taxes for Bromyard District, Joseph Woodyatt, Market Square Chambers
Rating Officer for Norton, Brockhampton, Linton, Whitbourne, Tedstone Delamere & Tedstone Wafer, W. H. Davenport, 7 Church Street, Bromyard
Clerk to the Charity Trustees, John William Jackson, Broad Street
Veterinary Inspector under the Diseases of Animals Acts fro Bromyard Petty Sessional Division, Thomas John Foulkes M. R. C. V. S. Cruxwell Street
 
PLACES OF WORSHIP
St. Peter's Church, Rev. Philip Austen Lushington M. A. vicar, Prebendary of Putston Major, & surrogate; Rev. Thomas Lawrence, curate
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic, Bishell Walk, Rev. Denys Mathieu
Congregational, Sherford Street, Rev. James Sidebottom
Wesleyan Methodist, New Road, (Herefordshire Mission), Rev. J. Wesley Webb
Friends' Meeting House, Broad Street
 
EDUCATIONAL
   Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School, a recognised Secondary School, enlarged in 1895, at a considerable expense, was founded & endowed by Queen Elizabeth with £15 yearly, subsequently augmented to £35 yearly by Alderman Peryn, a member of the Goldsmiths' Company: in 1851 the original endowments were considerably increased by this Company & a competent master was appointed by them, & in 1878 a second master was appointed: in 1891 the school was places under a new scheme by the Charity Commissioners, and is now managed by a governing body of 11 members: in 1914 the scheme was adopted & buildings altered to admit girls; there are now (1929) about 100 pupils, including boarders; A. W. Tuckey B.Sc. Lond. Head master

Railway Station (G. W.)
 
CARRIERS
Bishops Frome - From 'Bay Horse' Howe, Thursday
Little Cowarne - From 'Queen's Arms' Smith, Thursday
Much Cowarne - From 'Queen's Arms' Jenkins, Thursday & from 'Bay Horse' Went, Thursday
BROMYARD
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Banwell James, York Villa, York Road Morris Mrs. Freeman, Newlands, New Road
Barrow B. M. 2 Westfields, Hereford Road Moss Thomas J.P. 27 High Street
Barrs James D. The Round House, New Road Neville Stanley, West Hill, New Road
Binyon Chas. M. Rockland, Hereford Road Newbold Henry E. The Lilacs, New Road
Binyon Eric, 7 Westfields, Hereford Road Nicholl Miss, The Schallenge
Bowley Mrs. West Hill, New Road Norris Misses, Brookfield, New Road
Box, Mrs. E. A. West Hill, New Road Oakley Mrs. Henry, Cruxwell House, Cruxwell Street
Brice Jn. Chas. Hollowdene, New Road Oldfield John L. Highfield, new Road
Browne Charles Bennion, 10 West Fields, Hereford Road Organ Richard, 4 Westfields, Hereford Road
Browne Misses, Claremont, New Road Orgee Miss. Church Street
Dale John, West Hill, New Road Parker Mrs. Fanny C. The Elms
Dancer Ulysses Jas. Garfield, High Street Partridge Arthur Frederick, 6 Westfields, Hereford Road
Davenport William Hy. 7 Church Street Penman Archibald M.B. York House, York Road
Davies Miss Pearson, Westacre Pettifer Albert Edward, Church Street
Davis William O. Selborne, New Road Philpott Reuben, High Street
Foulkes Thomas J. Cruxwell Street Philpott Thomas Vincent, Church Street
Grubb Edward Tolley, Broad Street Pickard Anthony Thomas, Mount Pleasant, New Road
Guess William Arthur, J.P. Winholme, New Road Reading Mrs. H. Roseville, New Road
Hackett Benjamin, West Hill, New Road Richardson Mrs. White Gate, Hereford Road
Hicks Noah, 1 Westfields, Hereford Road Russell Samuel W., B.A., M.B. bank House, Broad Street
Higgs Frederick Cyril, 9 Broad Street Shephard Mrs. 8 Westfields, Hereford Road
Hodges William, Firs Villas, Old Road Sidebottom, Rev. James (Congregational), The Manse, Sherford Street
Hughes C. E. Bank House, Broad Street Sirrell Sidney, The Chestnuts, New Road
Jackson John William, Highwell House Smith A. L. Sherford Street
James Edgar Lewis Coleman, 3 Westfields, Hereford Road Smith Richard Oseman, Ashfields, Hereford Road
James Miss G. M. Parkerhouse, Sherford Street Thornton William, Sherford Street
James William, New Road Tuckey A. W., B.Sc. (head master), Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School
Kempson Miss, White Gate, Hereford Road Twinberrow William Oswald, Bishell House
King-Lewis Philip Cecil, Nunwell House Wallis Robert Burley J.P. Highwell Cottage
King-Lewis Philip, Nunwell House Ware Christopher Henry, The Firs, Old Road
Lawrence Rev. Thomas (curate of St. Peter's), Winholme Villas, New Road Webb Rev. J. Wesley (Wesleyan), New Road
Lee George Leonard, Broad Street Wells Wilfred W., M.B. Tower Hill
Lee Robert, West Hill House, New Road Wilkes William Burrow, Church Street
Leese William Thomas, Birdseye Wilkins Arthur E. Bank House, High Street
Linley Hugh Banks, Tower Hill Williams Francis Whitsey, Hill Crest, New Road
Littlehales Alan Douglas, West Hill, New Road Williams Raymond W. Inglenook, Old Road
Lushington Rev. Philip Austen M.A. (vicar, Prebendary & surrogate), Vicarage Wilson Evan Charles, Church Street
Martin Rev. John M.A. (vicar of Grendon Bishop), Cranford, New Road Woodyatt Joseph, New Road
Mathieu Rev. Denys (Roman Catholic), Bishell Walk Yarnold Frank Goodman, 9 Westfields, Hereford Road
McKie David Crozier, The Lilacs, New Road Youd Fred, Overdale, New Road
COMMERCIAL
Early Closing day, Tuesday 1 p.m.
Abbots Thomas, Bay Horse Inn, High Street King-Lewis Philip Cecil M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond. Physician & surgeon, Nunwell House
Addyman John, grocer, Market Square Lewis Katherine (Miss), A.L.C.M. teacher of music, Kerioth House, New Road
Allen & Jackson, solicitors, Broad Street Linley Hugh Banks, manager of Midland Bank Ltd. High Street
Amiss John, monumental mason, New Road Lloyds Bank Ltd. (branch) (C. E. Hughes manager), Broad Street
Amiss William, monumental mason, Sherford Street London Central Meat Co. Ltd., 24 Broad Street
Ancient Order of Oddfellows (Broxash Lodge) (Joseph Woodyatt, sec.). Market Square Chambers Mabley Wm. Alfd. Butcher, High Street
Badham Herbert, boot repairer, Market Square Marshall Thomas D. confectioner, Market Square
Badham Percy R. confectioner, High Street Mason T. & Son, bakers, 1 High Street
Barnett John Ltd. Coal merchants, Station Yard Midland bank Ltd. (branch) (H. B. Linley, manager), High Street; Head Office, 5 Threadneedle Street, London, E C 2
Barratt W. A. & Son, butchers, Market Square Mills Frederick Wm. Watch & clock maker, 37 High Street
Barrs James D. surveyor & sanitary inspector to the Urban District Council & clerk to the joint Burial Committee, Broad Street Mills John, blacksmith, Angel Yard, Cruxwell Street
Bellow & Son Ltd. Agricultural implement makers (attend Thursdays), Cruxwell Street Ministry of Labour Employment Dept. (Joseph Woodyatt, branch manager), Market square Chambers
Bennett Margaret F. (Miss), Stationer, Market Square Mitchell Thos. E. fruit merchant, Sherford House, Sherford Street
Bentley, Hobbs & Mytton, auctioneers, Smithfield Moss Charles, Queen's Arms P.H., High Street
Bishop Alfred, insurance agent, Firs Villas, Old Road National Provincial Bank Ltd. (branch) (Arth. E. Wilkins, manager, High Street; Head office, 15 Bishopgate, London E C 2
Blackwell Christina (Mrs.), fancy repository, High Street NEWBOLD A. & CO. LTD. (established 1821), builders & contractors, plumbers & painters, heating engineers, builders merchants & ironmongers; Country House Decorations & repairs a speciality, High Street. Telegrams, "Newbold Ltd. Bromyard;"
Blackwell Harry, cabinet maker, High Street Owen Edward Ashford, grocer, 25 & 26 Broad Street
Breakwell Annie (Mrs.), refreshment rooms, High Street Page Sidney Richard, The Wine Vaults P.H. Broad Street
Bridges Herbert Henry, saddler, Rowberry Street Passey Frederick, confectioner, Broad Street
Bridgewater Bertha (Mrs.), confectioner, High Street Penman Archibald M.B., Ch.B., D.P.H. medical officer of health for the Bromyard Urban District & Rural District of Councils, York House, York Road
Bromyard Gas Light & Power Co. Limited (Sidney Sirrell, sec) Perkins Frederick, boot maker, Market square
Bromyard News & Record (Vincent B. Weeks, proprietor; published Thursday), Rowberry Street Perkins L. & A. coal & coke merchants, New Road
Bromyard Urban District Council Water Supply Pumping Station (William Haddon, manager & engineer), Three Mills Pettifer A. & E. Ltd. Ironmongers, Broad street & motor garage, Rowberry Street
Burgess Percy, Crown & Sceptre P. H. Sherford Street Phillips Arthur, boot & shoe repairer, Rowberry Street
Burton's, grocers, High Street Phillips James Henry, saddler, Sheep Street
Bury Jonathan, plumber, Frog Lane Philpott Evelyn (Mrs.), dinning rooms, High Street
Cadbury's Private Home for Girls (Miss Lillie Dunsford, matron), Froome Bank Pierson Herbert Thomas, draper, outfitter, & boot stores, High Street
Carless & Jones, dentists (attend Thursday), 20 High Street Pitt Selina (Miss), dining room, Broad Street
Carless Rt. Dentist (Carless & Jones) (attend Thursday), 20 High Street Powell & Co. (The Progress Stores, complete outfitters, Broad Street
Cave Walter, watch & clock maker, Broad Street Powis Albert Frederick, grocer, High Street
Cemetery (James D. Barrs, clerk), off Church Street Powis Charles, Green Dragon Inn, Cruxwell Street
Clarke Roger H., B.A., M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond. Physician and surgeon, (firm, Wells & Clarke), 26 Broad Street Powis Harold, baker, Cruxwell Street
Cockell William R. saddler, Rowberry Street Preece Richard, White Horse P.H. Cruxwell Street
Cooper Jn. Hairdresser, 5 High Street Preece Rosalind Roberta (Mrs.), Railway Inn, Church Street
County Court (His Honor Judge R. H. Roope Reeve K. C.; Horace Harford Foster, registrar), Police Court, Church Street Public Hall (Mrs. Florence Diacoff, proprietress), Church Street
County Police Station (Sergeant Arthur Davies, Officer in Charge), Church Street Pumfrey H. & Co., drapers, High Street
Dale john, estate agent, New Road Queens Elizabeth's Grammar School (A. W. Tuckey B.Sc. Head master)
Dancer Ulysses Jas. Garfield L. D. S. Eng. Dental surgeon Ross & Son Ltd., boot makers, 27 Broad Street
Dangerfield Herbert Henry, teacher of music, The Bungalow Royall George Nicholas, beer retailer
Davenport William Henry, rating officer for Brockhampton, Linton, Norton, Whitbourne, Tedstone Wafer & Tedstone Delamere, 7 Church Street Russell Samuel Wilfred B.A., M.B., B.Ch, B.O.A. physician & surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator No. 2 district, Bromyard Union & medical officer to the Poor Law Institution, Bank House, High Street
Davidson Alice Louisa (Mrs.), news agent, High Street Sanders William, tailor, Cruxwell Street
Davidson Edward, grocer, Cruxwell Street Selwyn Alfred Oliver, fishmonger, High Street
Davies & Co. tobacconist, 9 Church Street Sirrell James George & Sons, blacksmiths, Little Hereford Street
Davies James M.P.S. chemist & druggist, High Street Sirrell Sidney, clerk to Urban District Council, clerk to the justices, clerk to the Local Pension Sub-Committee, clerk to commissioners of taxes, correspondent to education Committee & clerk to governors of Grammar School, Victoria Chambers, Cruxwell Street
Davies John, coal miner, 9 Church Street Skyrme William Ernest, ironmonger, Market Square
Draysey George E. King's Arms P.H. High Street Smith A. L. builder, Sherford Street
Drinkwater Tom, beer retailer, The Bell, Church Street Smith Joseph Simons, refreshment rooms, Market Square
Dumbleton Hall, (Henry G. Blewett, caretaker), Church Street Smith Richard Oseman, surveyor to the Rural District Council, Ashfields, Hereford Road
Falcon Hotel (Mrs. Emily H. Harborne, proprietress), Broad Street Smitten Thomas George, hair dresser, Market Square
Feltham Charles W., draper, Broad Street Spooner Henry, manager of gas works, Broadbridge
Fire Brigade Station (Albert Bishop, captain), Frog Lane Stead and Simpson Limited, boot maker, Broad Street
Foster Horace Harford, solicitor, notary Public, commissioner for oaths & registrar & high bailiff to the County Court, Broad Street Stephenson George & Son, butchers, Broad Street
Foulkes Thomas J., M.R.C.V.S. veterinary surgeon, & inspector under the Diseases of Animals Acts for Bromyard District Strickland Henry William, marine store dealer, Little Hereford Street
Garrard & Anthony, solicitors, (attend Thursday), Market Square Tamplin T. W. J. boot repairer, Broad Street
Gripton & Co. wireless accessories dealers, High Street Tarbath Agnes Louisa (Mrs.), Lion Inn, Broad street
Harrell Ernest, cycle agent, Rowberry Street Taylor J. W. & Co. fruit merchants, Cruxwell Street
Harrell Kate (Miss), stationer, High Street Taylor Stanley W. leather seller & parish clerk & deputy registrar of births, marriages & deaths Bromyard Union, High Street
Harris Bernard, motor & electrical engineer; Morris specialist, Pump Street Thornton William, chemist, Broad Street
Haynes Geo. (Mrs.), registered lodging house, Sheep Street Thursby Alfred W. printer, The Oakley Press, Market square
Hicks Arthur, nurseryman & seedsman, High Street Vaughan and Bedford, drapers, High Street
Higgs F. Cyril, registrar of births, marriages & deaths for Bromyard sub-district & relieving & vaccination officer & collector to the guardians, Bromyard union, 9 Broad Street Victoria Café and Hotel (Chas. Edwin James, proprietor), Cruxwell Street
Hobbins William, shopkeeper, Cruxwell Street Waddell Edward J. saddler, Cruxwell Street
Hop Pole Hotel (Mrs. Leonora Johnson, proprietress), Market Square Wall Albert Arthur, cycle agent, 6 High Street
Hughes Amy (Miss), stationers, 7 High Street Weeks Vincent B. superintendent registrar of births, marriages & deaths for Bromyard District, Broad Street
Hughes C. E. manager of branch of Lloyds Bank Ltd. Bank house, Broad street Wells & Clarke, physicians & surgeons; surgery, 26 Broad Street
International tea Co.'s Stores Ltd. Grocers, Broad Street Wells W. Oscar, decorator, High Street
Jackson Jn. Wm. (firm Allen & Jackson), solicitors & commissioner for oaths & clerk to the Charity Trustees, Broad Street Wells Wilfrid W., M.B., Ch.B. (firm, wells & Clarke), surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator No. 1 district, Bromyard Union, Tower Hill House
James Frederick George, greengrocer, Church Street Wilkins Arthur E. manager of the National Provincial Bank Ltd. High Street
James J. (Thomas M. Miles, proprietor), high class family butcher, High Street Williams David Chas. Alfred, clerk to the Board of Guardians, Rural District Council & joint isolation hospital committee, Broad Street
James John, confectioner, Church Street Williams Edmund, motor engineer, High Street; "Williams Garage, Bromyard;"
James Wm. Builder, New Road Williams J. W. & Son Ltd. Grocers & corn merchants, 22 & 23 High Street & coal merchants, Station Yard
Jenkins George, marine store dealer, Sherford Street Williams Jessie & Annie (Misses), confectioners, Broad Street
Johnson Rosa Jane (Miss), china & glass dealer, 19 High Street Wilson E. C. engineer & motor haulage contractor & furniture remover, Church Street & coal merchant, Station Yard. T. A. "Haulier, Bromyard;"
Jones Chas. Stanley, dentist (firm, Carless & Jones) (attends Thursday), 20 high Street Woodcock Owen, baker, 4 High Street
Jones E. M. (Miss), stationer, 20 High Street Woodyatt Joseph, sanitary inspector to the Bromyard Rural District Council, collector and assessor of taxes for Bromyard & District, collector of Bromyard general and water rates, rating officer for Avenbury and Winslow and news correspondent for the Bromyard and District, Market square Chambers
Kennard Henry, confectioner, Market Square Worcester Permanent Building Society (David Watkins, sec.) (meets 3 - 4.30 p.m. last Wednesday in each month), Dumbleton Hall, Church Street
SALTMARSHE
Barneby William Theodore D.L., J.P. Saltmarshe Castle  
NORTON
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Dalby Rev. Alan M.A. Littlebridge St. John of Bletso Dowager Lady, Down Manor 
Marriott Mrs. The Burnt House Taylor Mrs. F. E. The Homestead
Moore Alfred, Glendale Waller Richard James, The Downs
Payne Edward R. The Rhea  
COMMERCIAL
Marked thus ¤ farm 150 acres or over
Adams Alfred, boot repairer, The Firs Key Jessie (Mrs.), cottage farmer, Bank House
¤ Bedford Joseph T. farmer, Grange Lane Tom Hawkins, cottage farmer, Down Side
Broad Oak Golf Club (T. V. Philpott, hon. Sec.) Moore Alfred, gardener to w. T. Barneby esq. D.L., J.P.
Darby Henry, farmer, Cockaley Orgee Frederick, cottage farmer
Davies Joseph E. cottage farmer, Oak Cottage ¤ Page Maj. B., farmer, Upper Norton
Day Charles, beer retailer, Royal Oak, The Downs Payne John, farmer, Walk Mills
¤ Evans David, farmer, New House Preece Archer, farmer, Raven's Nest
¤ Evans William, farmer, New Barn Read Allen, farmer, The Steeples
Hide Frederick, cottage farmer, Down Side Rimell Samuel, pig killer, The Downs
Hobbs George, farmer, The Fox Sears George Fraser, beer retailer, Holly Tree
Isbell Brothers, cottage farmers, Down Side Skyrme Edwin T. farmer, Sandy Cross Farm
Jones Harriett (Mrs.), boot & shoe repairer ¤ Skyrme William, farmer, Middle Norton
LINTON
Marked thus † to be addressed WHITBOURNE, WORCESTER
Marked thus ‡ to be addressed BROMYARD, WORCESTER
Marked thus • to be addressed BRINGSTY, WORCESTER
‡ Adams Miss, Down House  
Marked thus ¤ farm 150 acres or over
COMMERCIAL
† Ballard John H. farmer, Parson's Hill ‡ Linton Tile Works (Gibbs Bros.), brick and tile makers
† Burraston F. M. (Miss), cottage farmer, Deabley ¤† Morris William H., farmer, Yearsett Court
† Davies Arthur, baker, Linley Green • Mowbray Florence (Mrs.), farmer, Burley Farm
• Davies David Chas. Farmer, Linton Brook Oliver Sidney, farmer, Washcroft, The Downs
† Davies Jn. Cottage farmer, Linley Green † Pullen Thomas Arthur, cottage farmer, Linley Green
• Dennett William, cottage farmer • Roberts Joseph, blacksmith, Post Office
• Elcocks T. G. (Mrs.), farmer, Linton Mill ¤‡Ruck John, farmer, Lower Yearsett
¤‡ Evans Jn. Walt. farmer, Hodgebatch • Smith James Henry, cottage farmer, Burley
† Garness George, cottage farmer, Haines Croft • Spencer William, farmer, The Scar Farm
• Garness Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Nuttage † Sprague William (Mrs.), farmer, Hareley Farm, Linley Green, Whitbourne
• Gibbs Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Old House † Walker George, cottage farmer, Upper Deabley
† Harper Cyril, cottage farmer, Linley Green • Walker Joseph, farmer & hop grower, Ashminton
• Harris Stanley, beer retailer, Mason's Arms, Bringsty Common ‡ Ward Frederick, carpenter, The Downs
• Holland Harry Richard, beer retailer, Live and Let Live, Bringsty Common ‡ Williams John, farmer, Pool Hall
Hyde John Edward, farmer, Down Side • Williams Joseph, farmer, Southington
† Kennard Thomas, cottage farmer † Withers J. L., farmer, Grain Farm

 

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1929 in Hereford Central Library]