Bucknell, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BUCKNELL, (or Bucknill), a parish in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow, in the county of Salop, but extending also into the hundred of Wigmore, in the county of Hereford, 3 miles to the N.E. of Knighton, in Radnorshire, its post town. It is situated on the small river Ony, a branch of the Teme, and is a station on the Knighton section of the Central Wales railway, and includes the townships of Buckton and Coxall. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, of the value with the curacy of Buckton annexed, of £332, in the gift of the Master and Wardens of the Grocers' Company, London. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are charitable endowments worth £18 a year. This parish is in the honour of Tutbury, in the duchy of Lancaster."
"BUCKTON, a township in the parish of Bucknell, hundred of Wigmore, in the county of Hereford, 6 miles to the E. of Knighton, in Radnorshire. It is near the river Teme."
"COXALL, a township in the parish of Bucknell, hundred of Wigmore, in the county of Hereford, 7 miles N.E. of Presteign. It is situated on the river Teme. It was here that Caractacus made his last stand against the Roman general Ostorius, who occupied Bravinium, or Brandon."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]