Burghill, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"BURGHILL, a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles to the N.W. of Hereford, its post town, and 11 W. from Moreton railway station. It is situated in a pleasant country, near the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, and contains the township of Tillington. Hops are cultivated in the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £94, in the patronage of B. Biddulph, Esq. The rectorial tithes are commuted for £481 12s. 11d.
The church is approached through a beautiful avenue of yew-trees, and is dedicated to St. Mary. It is an ancient stone edifice, with square tower and four pinnacles, in the Norman style of architecture. The interior is supported by ton fine stone pillars, and contains a curious metal font, which stands on a stone pedestal, carved with figures of the Twelve Apostles. There is also a richly carved oak screen, and a handsome marble altar tomb to the memory of the family of Sir John Milbourne, formerly of Tillington Court.
The church was entirely repaired in 1824, at a cost of £2,000, and again in 1864. The parochial charities, including a bequest for a school, amount to £20 per annum. The school-house, a handsome stone building, was erected in 1850. On the top of Burghill are remains of a square encampment. The Portway, leading to the Roman station Kenchester, passes a little to the N. of this village. Burghill Court is the chief mansion."
"TILLINGTON, a township in the parish of Burghill, hundred of Grimsworth, county Hereford, 5 miles N.W. of Hereford, and 1½ mile N.W. of Burghill church."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]