Burghill, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1858
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
BURGHILL is a parish, with the hamlet of PORTWAY, and the township of TILLINGTON, 4½ miles north-west from Hereford, 1¾ west from Moreton Railway Station, 7½ south-east from Weobly, and is situate on the Hereford and Weobly turnpike road, in Grimsworth Hundred, Hereford Union, Weston deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church of St. Mary, an ancient stone building in the Norman style of architecture, was thoroughly restored about 1824, at a cost of £2,000, and a considerable outlay was again made in 1854; it has a square tower, with four pinnacles and five bells; the entrance to the church by the south porch is through a very beautiful avenue of yew trees; the interior is supported by ten noble pillars, and consists of nave, middle aisle, two side aisles, chancel, and an organ. The sittings, which are chiefly of oak, will accommodate 350 persons, and 50 are free. Among the antiquities in the church are a curious font of metal, placed on a stone figuratively carved of the Twelve Apostles; and a very richly carved oak screen, one of the finest in England. In the chancel is a handsome marble altar tomb to the memory of Sir John Milbourne, his Lady, and their twelve children, formerly of Tillington Court, in this parish; also two brass monuments to the memory of Robert Masters, Esq., who was lord of the manor, and died 3rd June 1619; and John Aubrey, Esq., 11th June 1616. In the orchard adjoining the church yard is an ancient barrow. The living is a vicarage, which produces from tithes, 30 acres of glebe land, augmentations of Queen Anne's bounty and Parliamentary grant, £94 yearly, in the gift of John Middleton Biddulph, M.P., of Chirk Castle. The Rectorial tithes are commuted at £481 12s 11d.; The Rev. J. R. Jones, M.A., is the incumbent. Here is an Endowed school attached to the church. A very handsome and substantial stone school building, with residence for master and mistress, was erected in 1851, and endowed with £10 per annum, for the education of boys and girls of Burghill, Credenhill, and Wellington. The population in 1851 was 946 and the acreage is 3,704. The soil is clayey loam and gravel. Colonel Middleton Biddulph, M.P., is lord of the manor; and Colonel M. Biddulph, Sir W. Rouse Boughton, bart., the Misses Griffiths, William Warlters, Esq., Thomas Davies, Esq., Thomas Price, Esq., Thomas Martin, Esq., and the Rev. John Eckley, are the chief landowners. The crops are wheat, beans, oats, and peas. There are additional charities of £8 yearly value. There are several extensive farms with good houses attached.
PORTWAY, is three quarters of a mile east.
TILLINGTON, a considerable township, is situated 1½ miles north-west from the church.
Letters arrive by foot post from Hereford at half past 9 a.m., and are despatched thereto at a quarter past 3 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hereford
BURGHILL MISCELLANEOUS Daw Edward, carpenter, Trowtree Moreton James, blacksmith Evans Thomas, tailor, Bugeley Pitch Phillips Miss Eleanor, boarding & Day School Gough Miss Anne, Lauristina House Wall A. H., Esq. Jones Rev. J. R., M.A., Vicarage Wood John, cider retailer Lloyd James, carpenter FARMERS Addiss Richard, Holme House Gough Mrs. Ann, Lauristina House Aveline John, Manor House Lewis John, Little Burlton Bourne John, Church House Patrick John, Lion Farm Davies Thomas, Burlton Court Turner John, Brick Hill Fox Thomas, Haymeadow Vale John, Lower Burlton
PORTWAY Morris James, cider retailer Williams John, cooper Watkins William, senr., tailor Williams Joseph, mason Watkins Wm., junr., collector of rates & taxes
TILLINGTON MISCELLANEOUS Andrews John, carpenter Morvan James, shopkeeper, Common Cooper Elisha, stonemason Parry Thomas, Bell Inn Davies Mrs., Red House Patrick Thomas, grocer George Mr. Richard Jasper, The Parks Powell Mr. William Walter, Rose Cottage Harper Joseph, carpenter Roberts William, shopkeeper Hodges Walter, carpenter Taylor John, shoemaker, Crowmore Lewis Benjamin, shoemaker, Roger's Cross Varley Henry John, Esq., lower House Martin Thomas, Esq., The Lodge Warlters William, Esq., The Hermitage Mellin Thomas, cider retailer Watkins Thomas, carpenter FARMERS Bishop Francis, Hill Farm Price Thomas, Upper House Bourne William Pritchard John, Bagnadge Lewis Henry Stedman Edward Bright, Court Farm Munn John, Brumhill Taylor Richard, Woodfield Parry Thomas Evans
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858 in Hereford Central Library]