Burghill, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1879
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879
Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
BURGHILL is a parish, with the hamlets of HUNTINGTON PORTWAY, and the township of TILLINGTON, 4 miles north-by-north-west from Hereford, 1¾ miles west from Moreton Bridge Station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway, 10 south from Leominster and 148 from London, situated on the Hereford and Weobly turnpike road, in Grimsworth Hundred, Hereford Union and county court district, rural deanery of Weston, and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building in the Norman style, and was thoroughly restored about 1824, at a cost of £2,000, and a considerable outlay was again made in 1854, it was further restored, in 1862, when three stained windows were added, and the nave and some other parts were paved with encaustic tiles: it has chancel, nave and aisles which are separated by an arcade of ten noble pillars, and square tower, with four pinnacles and five bells; the entrance to the church by the south porch is through a very beautiful avenue of yew trees; There are 350 sittings, 50 of which are free: there is an organ: Among the antiquities in the church are a curious font of metal, placed on a stone, with carvings of the Twelve Apostles; also a very richly carved oak screen: In the chancel is a handsome marble altar tomb to the memory of Sir John Milbourne, his Lady, and their twelve children, formerly of Tillington Court, in this parish; also two brass monuments to Robert Masters, Esq., who was lord of the manor, and died 3rd June 1619; and John Aubrey, Esq., 11th June 1616. The register dates from the year 1663. The living is a vicarage, which produces from tithes, 30 acres of glebe land, augmentations of Queen Anne's bounty and Parliamentary grant, £94 yearly, in the gift of Colonel Middleton Biddulph, of Chirk Castle, and held by the rev. John Rees Jones. The Rectorial tithes are commuted at £481 12s 11d. There are various charities of £8 yearly value. In the orchard adjoining the churchyard is an ancient barrow. Burghill Court is the seat of John George Woodhouse, esq., J.P.; Tillington Court, a modern mansion, 1 mile north, the residence of Miss Griffiths; and The Hermitage, 2 miles north from the church, the residence of William Lovejoy, esq. Andrew Rouse Boughton Knight, esq., Miss Griffiths, William Lovejoy, esq., Thomas Davies, Esq., Thomas Martin, esq., The Rev. J. R. Jones, M.A., and the trustees of the late Rev. John Eckley, are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey loam and gravel. The crops are wheat, beans, oats, and peas. The area of the parish is 3,704 acres; rateable value, £8,039; and the population in 1871 was, parish, 1,036; township, 571.
HUNTINGTON hamlet, 1 mile and a half south-east-by-south, is partly in this parish, and partly in that of Holmer.
PORTWAY, is three quarters of a mile east.
TILLINGTON, a considerable township, is situated 1½ miles north-west from the church. Here is a chapel for Primitive Methodists. The population in 1871 was 465.
Parish Clerk.- William Roberts.
POST OFFICE. - Mrs James Watkins, receiver. Letters arrive from Hereford at half past 8.25 a.m., dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hereford
Assistant Overseer, William Lewis
A handsome, substantial stone school with residence for master and mistress, was erected in 1851, & endowed with £6 10s. yearly, by the late William Walters, esq. of the Hermitage, in this parish, for boys and girls of Burghill. Joseph Barrett, master; Mrs. Ann Barrett mistress.
The Hereford County and City Lunatic Asylum in this parish is situate about 3 miles from Hereford: the edifice was opened in 1871; it is a brick building & covers about ten acres of land: there is room for 360 inmates, 170 men & 190 women: there are also a farm & garden of 100 acres: the house committee meet the first Tuesday in every month, the general committee of visitors quarterly. T. A. Chapman, M.D. medical superintendent; D. E. Morris, assistant medical officer; Rev. C. H. Bulmer, B.A. chaplain; Edward Browning, clerk & steward; Miss Elizabeth Ann Owen, housekeeper.
BURGHILL MISCELLANEOUS Apperley Edward Morris David Edward Chapman Thomas Algernon, M.D. Phillips Rowland Davies Thomas, Burlton Court Vale John, Burlton Villa Jennings William, Three Elms Villa Woodhouse John George, J.P., Burghill Court Jones Rev, John Rees, Vicarage Bennett John, farmer, Manor House Hereford County and City Asylum (Thomas Algernon Chapman, M.D., medical superintendent Bourne John, farmer, Home Farm Lewis William, assistant overseer Chapman Thomas Algernon, M.D., medical superintendent at the asylum Lloyd David, blacksmith Dale Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Haven Lloyd Thomas, butcher Dale William, farmer Morris David Edward, assistant medical officer at the lunatic asylum Davies Thomas, farmer, Burlton Court Neale Thomas, farmer, Lauristina House Daw Edward, beer retailer, Towntree Pritchard John, farmer Farrington Richard Prosser, farmer Wright William, farmer Griffiths Thos. Nurseryman, Crowmore
Huntington Meadow Moses, machinist Vaughan William, shoe maker
PORTWAY Harrison James, farmer Rudge Richard, Royal Oak Morris George, wheelwright Williams Joseph, mason Perry James, farmer, Brick Hill
TILLINGTON Challenger John Lovejoy William, The Hermitage Griffiths Miss, Tillington Court Alcott James, farmer, The Fields Lewis James, shoemaker Armstrong Herbert & Henry, farmers Lloyd George, haulier Barnes Elizabeth (Mrs.),, farmer, Lower Parks Matthews Thomas, haulier Barrett Sarah (Mrs.), farmer Moreton Hannah (Mrs.), blacksmith Bishop William, farmer Patrick George, grocer Clayton John, farmer, The Parks Patrick Richard, beer retailer Davies Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Brumhill Powell William, beer retailer & grocer Goatman George, farmer, The Lodge Ramplin George, Bell Inn Harper Joseph, carpenter Roberts Jeremiah, farmer, Lower House Jones John, haulier Taylor John, shoemaker, Crowmore Lewis Benjamin, farmer, The Field Watkins Thomas, carpenter Lewis Frances (Mrs.), farmer, Stone House
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879 in Hereford Central Library]