Canon Frome, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863
Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004
CANON FROME is a small parish, distant 7 miles north-west from Ledbury, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union and county court district, Frome rural deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church of St. James has been lately rebuilt; the tower, which is square and turreted, contains 3 bells. The living is a rectory, valued at £200, with a commodious parsonage house rebuilt in 1844; the Rev. John Hopton, M.A., J.P., is the patron, rector and lord of the manor, and resides at Canon Frome Court, a handsome modern mansion, adjoining the church. The population in 1861 was 115; acreage 1,005. The soil is clayey, but rich.
WHITE HOUSE, Lower House, and Suffield with the demesne, are the principal farms.
Hopton Rev. John, M.A., J.P., Canon Frome Court|
Hooper Joseph, farmer, Suffolk
Jones John, blacksmith
Pitt Francis, farmer, White house
Taylor John, farmer, Red castle
Letters through Ledbury, which is the nearest money order office.
[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in February 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]