Castle Frome, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863
Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004
CASTLE FROME is a small parish, 6½ miles north-west from Ledbury, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church of St. Michael is a neat small building of stone, having a tower and spire. The register dates from 1624. The living is a rectory, value £300 per annum, in the gift of F. T. Freeman Esq.; the Rev. William Godden Lyall, M.A., is the rector. The population in 1861 was 160; the acreage is 1,511.
BIRCHEND, Moorend, Frogend, Milling, Hill Castle, and The Town, are places here.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Hayling.
Homes John, esq. New Birchend
Lyall Rev. William Godden, M.A. Rectory
Barrett James, carpenter
Errington William, farmer, Milling
Jenkins Henry, farmer, Hill castle
Ockey Charles, farmer, Moorend
Powell Thomas, farmer, Frogend
Pudge William, butcher
Watkins William, blacksmith
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.
[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in February 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]