Hide

Clodock, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CLODOCK, a parish in the hundred of Ewyas-Lacy, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles W. of the Pontrilas station of the Newport and Hereford line, and the same distance S.W. of Abbey Dore. It is situated on the river Munnow, under the Black mountains, and contains the chapelries of Crasswall, Llanveynoe, Longtown, and Newton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £222, in the patronage of W. Wilkins, Esq. There are four distinct churches, all perpetual curacies in the patronage of the vicar. The parish church, dedicated to St. Cleodocus, is a stone edifice in the early English style, with square tower. The charities produce £20 per annum. On Watling Street is a Roman camp and an old castle. Fairs are held on the 29th April, 22nd June, and the 21st September."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]