Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Collington, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Collington, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863

Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004

COLLINGTON.

COLLINGTON is a parish, 4 miles north from Bromyard (its post town), 7 south from Tenbury, 12 from Wooferton railway station, 16 west from Worcester, 18 north-east from Hereford, in Bromyard union and county court district, Broxash hundred, Frome deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; and is pleasantly situated on the Bromyard and Tenbury turnpike road. The church of All Saints being in a most dilapidated state, and very inconveniently situated at the extremity of the parish, a small and elegant one was erected of freestone(found in the parish), in the Early English style of architecture, on a more central site in 1856. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Edvin Ralph, joint annual value £400, with 45 acres of glebe land, in the gift of William Lacon Childe, Esq.; the Rev. Arthur Childe, M.A., is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 150; the acreage is 985. The soil is clay and loam. In the parish is a large gravel pit; a narrow seam of sand and gravel runs through the middle of it, on a slight elevation from north to south; the western soil has limestone, and the south-west free stone, of which the new church is built. Edmund Barnsley Higginson, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Thomas Philip Payne Wight, Esq.; W.L. Childe, Esq., Edmund Higginson, Esq., and Christ's Hospital are the chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat , barley, oats, beans, hops, and fruit. Ripplewood is the residence of T.P.P. Wight, Esq.

UNDERHILL, Ripplewood, The Bank, The Castle, Church house, Fieldhouse, The Field, and Pie Corner are places here.

Parish Clerk, William Knight.


COLLINGTON.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Wight Thomas Philip Payne, esq. Ripplewood

COMMERCIAL.

Bayliss John, farmer, Underhill
Hemming Joseph, shoemaker, Pye corner
Lucas James, farmer, Field
Nott Thomas, farmer, Church house
Nott William, jun. farmer, Castle
Nott William, sen. farmer, Fieldhouse
Perry William, farmer & builder, Bank
Surrell Ann (Mrs.), blacksmith

Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office

[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in November 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]