Colwall, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"COLWALL, a parish in the hundred of Radlow, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles S.W. of Malvern, its, post town, and the same distance N.E. of Ledbury. It has a station on the West Midland branch of the Great Western railway. It is situated on the western side of the Malvern hills, under the Herefordshire Beacon. Part of the parish is in hops. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £540, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure in the early English style, with tower and several ancient monuments. The charities amount to £33 per annum, and there are free schools for both sexes. The bishop of the diocese and H. Bright, Esq., are lords of the manor. Many brass coins and a gold ornament were found a few years back in the neighbourhood."
"EVENDINE, a hamlet in the parish of Colwall and county of Hereford, 4 miles N.E. of Ledbury. It is situated at the foot of the Malvern hills. Here are extensive limestone quarries, in which many fossils are found."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]